Alternatives to storage heaters?

Options
aurion22
aurion22 Posts: 146 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Does anyone know anything about "JAWO Electric Radiators"? They seem like a good idea but are the pumps noisy?
I've read elsewhere on MSE that all heaters give the same output (so I won't be taken in by the Wibo rep who's coming to talk to me tomorrow).
I've recently had a quote for an ASHP system which was over £2K more than I'd first been told so beyond my budget and I'm still looking for an affordable alternative to my ancient storage heaters.
I have a small (2 bed) semi-detached bungalow with a loft conversion. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
:)

Comments

• Robert2009
    Robert2009 Posts: 342 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2010 at 2:25PM
    Options
    This gives JAWO electric radiators a '20 minute' heat retaining capacity

So it takes 20 mins before you get any heat out of it then.

Before Cardew comes along

put 1 kWh of electricity into a heater you get 1 kWh of heat out,

UNLESS part of that kWh goes to pump water, illuminate a display.

Who on earth thought up these things?

I know, someone who wants to part suckers from their money.

Use a cheap oil filled radiator and if you are so desperate to come home to a warm house use a cheap timer. Or you could as a temp solution use a fan heater until the chill is taken of the cold room.

And as you have already found out anything moneysaving in heating is expensive to buy.

What did we do before central heating? Oh, we got up in the morning and froze until we cleaned out the coal fire and got it burning.

These were the days.

Rob
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Robert2009 wrote: »
    So it takes 20 mins before you get any heat out of it then....

I think what it actually means they stay warm for 20 minutes after the input power has been cut.

Hence, if they are cycling in and out under thermostatic control, then the radiator continues to give out heat continuously (for up to 20 minutes), rather than cycling hot & cold.

Not a lot different to any other filled radiator though, which probably stays warm for almost as long.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here is a radical idea, in the absence of gas, what about modern storage heaters?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    aurion22 wrote: »
    ... I'm still looking for an affordable alternative to my ancient storage heaters. ...:)

Why not look at replacing them with modern, stylish and more controllable storage heaters?

Cheap (relatively) to buy, install & maintain, and use cheap rate electricity too!
    You could probably use the same cabling as that which supplies the existing heaters - so a direct replacement.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Here is a radical idea, in the absence of gas, what about modern storage heaters?
    You just beat me to it! :)
  • jrrowleyws
    jrrowleyws Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even new storage heaters arent exactly attractive -doesnt seem that anyone has developed one which looks nice!
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Dimplex slimline ones look at least as good as a normal radiator.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • aurion22
    aurion22 Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions .. particularly to Premier & penrhyn .. I think I'll go and search for modern storage heaters.
    :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport