Statutory Redundancy Entitlement

Options
Some quick advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

I had been under the impression that the redundancy calculations had been for ages up to and including 41 and then 42 and above.
Up to the age of 41- calculating at 1 weeks pay for every year worked with the employer, and for 42 and above- calculating at 1.5 weeks pay.

Can anyone confirm this, or is it actually 41 and above and you would receive 1.5 weeks pay.
Also, if 41 and above and you would receive 1.5 weeks pay, what was the weekly wage cap for the first half of 2009. Was the limit £350 or was it £525?
I have used a couple of online calculators that have not helped to clarify this.

My situation goes back to the first half of 2009, as indicated above, and my focus has been on unfair selection. Redundancy pay awards were not even a consideration- I believed the company (a big Plc company) would have been fair and honest, on that part anyway. I now believe the initial redundancy award was incorrect.

Hope someone can help.

Comments

• anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 May 2010 at 9:13PM
    Options
    Statutory scheme:

the change to 1.5 weeks is for completed years from age 41.

cap was certainly not higher than the current £380 (effective since 1 October 2009). There was an increase from £330 to £350 on 1 February 2009.
  • minihaha
    minihaha Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you anamenottaken.

That helps with the age.

My redundancy details indicate a £350 limit for under 41 years of age and £525 for 41 and over. I was awarded the lower at the age of 41.
    Will need to look deeper as I understood a limit of £350, at that time, was for all ages
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    With redundancy you work back from the date(leaving or incuding notice if given pilon) any complete year over 41 is 1.5 rest are 1 up to a max of 20y service so the max is 30weeks.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    minihaha wrote: »
    Thank you anamenottaken.

That helps with the age.

My redundancy details indicate a £350 limit for under 41 years of age and £525 for 41 and over. I was awarded the lower at the age of 41.
    Will need to look deeper as I understood a limit of £350, at that time, was for all ages

£350*1.5 is £525 so they may have done it that way.

when your Bday , what is the date for redundancy calculation.

You need complete years over 41 to get the 1.5*

this gives a resonable summary
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Redundancy/DG_174330
  • minihaha
    minihaha Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks getmore4less

That now reminds me of the work/research I did yonks ago- in the early stages after my redundancy....
    Completed years at 41 and above are only calculated at that rate. All previous years are calculated at the lower rate. I was only just 41 when I was made redundance.
    I now feel 62 (1 year later), but feel relief to a sudden panic I was short changed on top of other things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure