Obtaining copy of full birth cert. What is the GRO Index No?

Options
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but was not sure where to put it....

I need to obtain a full copy of my birth certificate and am looking at the short version of it. I need to find out what the GRO Index number is.

Is it on the short version, and if so is it the number in the top left corner or is it the other number - under the date bottom right? Or neither?

Having googled and looked all round the the GRO website I have been unable to find out apart from that they need it!

Comments

• Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think since the price of a certificate increased in April this year you can order one without the Index no for the same price as if you know the number.
    To find the number you need to look on somewhere like Ancestry.Co.Uk.
    If you would like to PM me I can look it up for you ( not the thing to put the details on a public message board)
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • JabT_2
    JabT_2 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    You need to look at the birth indexes. You might be able to so that at a family history section of a library, quite a few give free access to Ancestry.co.uk records. On the the other hand you could look up the local registry office to where you were born and order the certificate from there and you don't need the reference. You'll have to fill in a form which in a lot of cases you can download and send off with the fee. You usually get the certificate that way as well.
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 May 2010 at 10:20PM
    Options
    You can get the GRO number for free on freebmd.org.uk
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • lfckerry
    lfckerry Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Freebmd is no good for recent events. if you are in the area of the birth then the local register office is usually quickest. you can apply without the GRO ref online aswell
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,723 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You do not need the GRO number if you can get to the Registrar's Office were the birth took place. And it is much much cheaper that way.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • all_greek_to_me
    Options
    As RAS says, you can get a copy, without having the index number, from the register office where you were born. And you don't have to go there in person. All registration districts take applications by post and many by email.

all_greek
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport