Starting a new job during redundancy period - is this OK?

Options
Hi all,

I'm sure this query has been answered on here in some shape or form, but I hope someone can provide me with a definitive, helpful answer.

I was informed on Monday (10th), that I was being made redundant. My notice period is 1 month, & I was verbally informed that I would be paid as normal on the 21st, & on top of that, I would be given a month's notice pay.

However, none of this has been received in writing as yet.

My manager had indicated that things were not right business-wise with the company about 6 weeks ago, & he mentioned that it wouldn't be a bad idea to start enquiring about other roles, just to be on the safe-side - as a result, I have already had a number of 2nd round interviews, one of which I'm hoping will be fruitful.

What I'd like to know is where I stand regarding this redundancy pay if one of these employers wants me to start at theirs before June 10th (i.e. one month on from the date that I was notified of being made redundant)?

My employer was aware that I'd spoken to other employers since he'd first mentioned how bad things were 6 weeks ago, & he asked me how my interviews were going after had informed me about the redundancy. Being on good terms with him, I mentioned that a couple of 2nd round interviews were imminent.

Was this a mistake, i.e. could be also have not provided anything in writing so far, because he could be waiting for me to resign instead?

All thoughts welcome - thanks in advance!

Comments

• mariefab
    mariefab Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    I can't find any legislation that states that notice must be given in writing.

So, forget about the redundancy part for now and check your contract of employment to see if it specifies written notice.
  • sagalout1954
    sagalout1954 Posts: 418 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Can you send an email (or letter) to your manager along the lines of "to confirm our conversation of Mon 10th, my position is redundant therefore I should expect my salary on 21st to include an additional month's salary in lieu of notice".
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But he may want you to work your notice, have you asked him.

If you wanted to leave early if you were working your notice they would only
    pay you up to the time you left, which is fair enough.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Get the notice of redundancy payments PILON and termination date in writing.

Negotiate and get agreement with ful payment if you want to leave earlier they might not pay you and you would have to go to an ET to try and get the payments due.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Employers DO tell employees in advance of pending redundancies sometimes - and one of the reasons is that they are hoping to save on redundancy pay. The position seems to be that redundancy pay is something that is given to employees to tide them over until they get another job - and employers often try to find an excuse not to hand it over if they can see that the employee doesnt actually need "tiding over" (as they have found another job to go straight over to).

Most people (and that includes me:D) regard a redundancy payout as our compensation for having lost a job and having worries about money and having to make efforts to find another job (when we weren't planning on using any of our spare time for that - because WE weren't the one who decided a job change was necessary IYSWIM).

So - yep - definitely get everything in writing AND try to ensure that your present firm is kept in ignorance from here on about other jobs you ask for (they aren't asking you how it's going out of concern for YOUR welfare - no matter how "friendly" a face they have on them whilst doing so...). If possible - try and ensure that any new job starts after the notice period on your current job expires.
  • jimbms
    jimbms Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    Options
    You may find if you fail to comply with the period of notice in your employment contract then you may not be entitled to any redundancy pay due to the fact you left without serving the required notice, same thing applies if given gardening leave.
    Approach her; adore her. Behold her; worship her. Caress her; indulge her. Kiss her; pleasure her. Kneel to her; lavish her. Assert to her; let her guide you. Obey her as you know how; Surrender is so wonderful! For Caroline my Goddess.
  • markandkate
    markandkate Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    You do not say how long you have been employed but unless your contract says that you are entitled to one months notice then you are only entitled to the statutory notice period which is one week for each year that you have worked to a maximum of 12 weeks.

If you are in your statutory notice period when you leave ie if you are entitled to 4 weeks notice and leave in that 4 weeks you will get your redundancy pay. if you are not in this period hten you have resigned. If your contract says that you are entitled to one months notice then providing you leave less than one month before the notice expired the same applies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure