Being Displaced at Work

Options
Hi,

Hoping someone can advise.

In the process of being displaced at work, have informed that need to re-apply for own job.

However, I have been told that if you are already doing 90% of the job, you should be automatically aligned to the job - therefore no requirement to re-apply.

Is this correct? Has anybody been through the same process?

Any advice on the above would be much appreicated.

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• bash67_2
    Options
    Dave
    it would be useful to know a little more about the restructuring. You say you are being displaced, but have to re-apply, which suggests the position is not being made redundant? Are there two or more of you doing similar jobs and they are amalgamating the positions?

If you fail to get the position, will you face redundancy? If so, you are entitled to see the selection criteria that was used in selecting the other candidate(s) in preference to yourself. That has to be fair and non discriminatory.

Even then of course you will have to go through the entire redundancy process meaning a period of consultation and the opportunity to apply for any other available positions within the organisation.

As I say, some more detail on the overall situation would be helpful.
  • Dave4343_2
    Options
    Hi Bash67,

Firstly thank-you for responding - your comments are much appreciated.

Company currently going through a re-structuring.

My position is not being made redundant, my post is still on the structure and the job has not changed. However I have been briefed that I will have to re-apply for the job even though I have been doing the job for over ten years.

They are not amalgamating the positions, but they are amalgamating other positons within the structure, so I suppose they are giving them the opportunity to apply for the post I currently occupy - can they do this? as I am doing the job present day.

Company are indicating that if you do fail to get the job, you would face the possibility of redundancy.

Thanks

Dave
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dave4343 wrote: »
    They are not amalgamating the positions, but they are amalgamating other positons within the structure, so I suppose they are giving them the opportunity to apply for the post I currently occupy - can they do this? as I am doing the job present day.

So what they are doing is saying that all the people can be put into a pool of staff who might be expected to have the skills necessary to do the jobs that will remain.

It is legal: they can do this.

Your ten years of experience should count in your favour. Does the company operate an annual appraisal system? If so, have you kept the records of all yours?
  • dave4343
    dave4343 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Thank-you for your comments.

Yes Company do operate a annual appraisal system and I do have a record.

Should be in a strong position regarding appraisal system as I have scored well and received good comments over the years.

Thanks

Dave
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If you look up "bumping" this covers where other jobs in a company are redundant but different people to those doing the jobs get made redundant.

A search might throw up some examples that you could use to try to protect your position.

A bumping pool can be used to help make it fair for those in jobs that are going(A way to get rid of people by pooling them with better people).

A key issue could be is the selection pool a fair one for thos in jobs that are not being made redundant
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A lot of companies make their staff re-apply for their positions. It allows the company to get shot of unwanted staff without the hassle of redundancy consultation.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure