Real life MMD: Should I keep the cash?

Options

Comments

• Realitycheck
    Options
    KEEP THE MONEY. I can't believe all these Liberals saying 'Split it!' Oh my God!!! Your friend needs a lesson learnt. In real life, you cannot just take a day of if you feel hungover! I have been hungover more times than I care to remember....I'm not proud of the fact, and I don't do it these days...BUT..I've made it into work every time!!!!!!! You deserve the tip, as you covered her job! If she couldn't be arsed, then so what!?
  • lyallp
    lyallp Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    She's simply too lazy to do her paperround, so keep the money for yourself. She should have thought about being hung over the night before.
  • newkitchenfund
    Options
    No way should you be covering for your hungover friend. She is drinking underage and breaking the law. I would also be concerned for her health, safety and studies.
    The point of taking a part-time job when still at school ( I assume you both are) is to get used to the real world of work where people rely on you to turn up and get the job done, and to develop a bit of independence - financial or otherwise. By regularly baling her out (covering for unforeseen illness is different) you are giving her the message that she can get away with her irresponsible attitude. She's in for a nasty shock one day when she realises the world does not owe her a living.
    I would tell her you got the tip but not offer to share. Tell her also that you are a bit sick of covering for her so much. SHE is exploiting YOU!
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This girl is abusing the friendship - she sees nothing wrong in calling in sick, regardless of the inconvenience to her employer and "friend". So she obviously has no appreciation of the value of the job, and the one who does the work should get whatever extra is going! :j

The ones who say "share it" or "hand it over" are pandering to her poor work ethic - why would she have to change if she isn't losing anything?

I agree with everything you've said.
  • hamzramz
    hamzramz Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Keep the money.

It's not being selfish, you do her round often, while she is at home hungover. You got the extra money, so you should keep it. Tell her about the money, and what she thinks, but she should really let you keep it, as you're saving her butt and her job by doing her round for her.
  • fgmv
    fgmv Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Absolutely keep the money. The hungover girl is still getting paid because her friend is kind enough to cover her paper round. It's the least she should get for covering her so many times.
  • minerva_windsong
    minerva_windsong Posts: 3,808 Forumite
    Options
    I'd keep the money - if you're doing her round as often as it seems you are, then you've earned that money and it's her loss.

If you feel guilty about it though I'd maybe casually mention that you got a really good tip the other day and see if that incentivises her at all.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • sid351
    sid351 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 12 May 2010 at 9:29AM
    Options
    I say keep it and keep quiet, unless "often" means something like once a month, then I'd split it.

Secondly, I'd like to remind those that are harping on about "underage drinking" that there are circumstances where a 17 year old can LEGALLY drink, and therefore be legally hungover.

Edit: Also, do you get paid for doing her round by the paper shop? If not, then regardless of how often "often" is, keep the money, no questions asked.
  • SofaChi
    SofaChi Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    tripled wrote: »
    If you filling in was just a one off, I'd just pass the lot over, but being as you do the round quite regularly anyway I'd split it with them - perhaps go to the pub together and use it as a kitty or something?

They are both 17 so encouraging underage drinking is probably not the best idea! I say keep the money, you earnt it.
  • pennypinchUK
    pennypinchUK Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    Keep it - if the generous person gave you the money they must have seen you deliver their papers plenty of times. So the person is giving you the money willingly and knowingly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure