We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Audi A6 2.0TDI SE 2 year Lease - £281pcm

Options
Ive been monitoring the below site since I started leasing my car in June 2005
The below deal is one of the best I have seen yet and includes VAT. Anyone after a prestige motor should consider this way of "financing"

http://www.lingscars.com/car_detail.php?make_model=233&id=633&status=1

Comments

• burbs_2
    burbs_2 Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    Lings brilliant when it comes to car leases. She cannot be beaten when it comes to price. I have already advised a couple of people to go to her from here, one of them took an RX8 off her (cant remember who).

Audi A6 isnt really a car that i would go for if i was after leasing and there are pros and cons of leasing which i wont go into now, but if leasing is the way for you then Ling is a good start point.
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never leased a car but that seems a very good price. However Ling's website makes her look like a nutjob :)

burbs have you posted about the pros and cons of leasing elsewhere? I've always just paid cash but having lost thousands in depreciation over the last couple of years I sometimes wonder whether leasing makes sense.
  • burbs_2
    burbs_2 Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    Dan29 wrote:
    I've never leased a car but that seems a very good price. However Ling's website makes her look like a nutjob :)

burbs have you posted about the pros and cons of leasing elsewhere? I've always just paid cash but having lost thousands in depreciation over the last couple of years I sometimes wonder whether leasing makes sense.

Yes her website is a bit strange (she is chinese and does it all herself) but trust me she knows about cars. She set up CarShack, a car supermarket with her hubby and does know everything there is to know.

As a dealer i personally advise people not to lease however i am not naive and understand that needs differ between customers. I have done the pros and cons a while back but cannot find it so will go into it briefly.

Pros:

You can take a new car often without the hassle of re-financing etc. Normal contracts run for 24-36 months. When your contract runs out hand back the car and off you go in the next new one.

Depreciation is no longer your worry.

Dependent on the plan you take out when you take the car you may not have to worry about any repairs and work, exceptions obviously apply.

Most lease companies now offer deals as well, eg free road tax etc.

Cons:

You dont own a car, the car is going to be going back and you are left with nothing for the money you have spent out over the past few years.

You are normally held into a mileage allowance e.g. 10,000 miles a year, go over and get penalised.

You normally have to pay a large deposit, usually 3 months payments at the start which can be a large chunk.
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for that. I guess it only really makes sense if you want a brand new car.

For example an MX5 would cost £6110 to lease from Ling for 2 years, which is probably about the amount a brand new one would depreciate by in 2 years.

If you've got the cash I guess it doesn't make so much sense to lease.
  • deepseadiver
    Options
    The thing is though you never know what the depreciation will be on a car and it can only be estimated. Also say you bought a car for £17k and £12K of that was cash, you will never see or realise that cash. Its not earning any interest, its lost any opportunity cost. The payments on the loan would cover the payments of the lease. In the example of the A6 this is a £24K car and the equivalant loan over 24 months (281 per month)+ the deposit would be around the 7.5K area. That means you would need to find around 16K to put into the car. Thats about £1900 in interest alone if this was left in the bank. I now this is quite an expensive motor to start with but if you want one then its a good option. There are other good deals also. I lease a BMW 1 series diesel which has fantastic mpg for £235pm. My mate has got the petrol 1.6 for £199 per month!! We wont even need to get these serviced within the time of the lease. They also send me a new tax disc for free every 12 months. Oh, and in 10 months time I will lease another new car. The neighbours will be curious
  • polarbearit
    Options
    Leasing sounds interesting - will I be charged alsorts of hidden extras at the end, when they nit pick over the car or are they realistic in allowing for wear and tear?
  • deepseadiver
    Options
    polarbearit -

Ive not returned one yet but the T & C's of the lease allow for wear and tear. They stipulate certain "damage" that may be allowed. I scraped mine on a wall and BMW quoted over £700. I got it done for £200 in the end but any serious scratches would have to be remided. The other thing is that if you go over your mileage limit then there is a charge per mile which i believe is not obscene. Just make sure your lease would cover your yearly mileage plus say 1000 - 2000 pa just to be on the safe side. There are no other hidden extras.
  • odowdchr
    odowdchr Posts: 800 Forumite
    Options
    How does it effect your insurance when you're contract hiring a car?
    Do they tend to charge more?
    What happens if you suffer a bad accident and the car's a write off? Does the lease company hold you to repaying them a certain amount, even if the insurance payout might not cover that fully?

Deepseadiver....we're also looking at a 1 series diesel. What's the servicing intervals on them....ie..can you get away with a few oil and filter changes in 2 years?
  • deepseadiver
    Options
    owdodchr-
    I had an Audi prior to leasing an my ins went down. In fact I only pay about £360 per year FC. As for the insurance they offer you GAP insurance at the time which I did not take out. If it is a write off whether or not you own the car often there is a difference in any case so leasing is no different. My service indicator shows 18K and I have only done 7K yet ( my contract is for 8K per year) I think the most that I will have to do is an oil and filter. This can be done anywhere that is VAT reg and does not have to be BMW so should not be a lot.
    Ive seen 118d's for £252 (jet black) and £278 (met black) on Lings site for 3+23 (10k pa)at the mo. If it was me I would opt for the Audi A6. It has loads of standard equipment and the SE pack as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport