DRO - Old account not heard from??

Options
Hi just looking for some advice on DRO for my partner. He has debts of around £11.5k that he is looking to do a DRO for asap, I can't see any reason that it shouldn't go through as he meets all the criteria. The only problem is on top of the £11.5k he has about another £2.5k from an account he hasn't heard anything from for at least 4 years(although we have moved a lot and not changed address), they are not on his credit report. I don't want to exclude them from the DRO incase they get back in touch and then he will still owe them but I also don't want to contact them just incase they then start chasing again because if they have added on lots more charges or its gone elsewhere and they have added on charges then it might take him over the £15k threshold. Are they likely to start chasing again when its been so long? Will applying for the DRO flag anything up with them? What is the best option??

Thanks

Comments

• debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 May 2010 at 8:23PM
    Options
    Hi,

Why don't you ring them up and ask them to put their outstanding payment in writing to you as a relative wants to settle the debt. A phone call does not count as acknowledgement of the debt and they may be keen to settle.

Either way, you have not damaged your 'statute barred' rights and you can assess the balance.

Make sure they tell you the full outstanding balance in writing.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure