Help elec being cut off

Options
davebeddo
davebeddo Posts: 14 Forumite
I have being having murder with electricity supplier.

My girlfriend lost her job in december and we got into arrears. She now has a new job and have asked several times to begin repayments of £120.00 per month.

First of all they said they wanted to fit a card meter but now saying they want to cut me off.

That is ascary prospect. If i am cut off and find new supplier would i be able to roll outstanding arrears into my IVA?

I know i could not do this with a live account.

The whole thing is stressing me out, it feels like they don't want to help.

Comments

• kns_2
    kns_2 Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Have a read of this.

[/FONT] Can my fuel supplier disconnect me?

This information applies to England, Wales and Scotland
    If you don't pay your bill within 28 days from the date of the bill, you risk getting disconnected. Some suppliers may start to take action to disconnect you as early as ten working days from the date on your bill.
    However, your fuel supplier can't cut you off without sending you a disconnection notice first.
    In practice, it's unlikely you'll be disconnected, as long as you can pay for your fuel and agree to pay something off towards the arrears.
    If you do get a disconnection notice, you should contact Consumer Direct on 0845 404 0506.
    If you can't pay your bill, contact your supplier straight away. You should be offered an arrangement to pay off the arrears at a rate you can afford. If you can't afford to pay off the arrears in this way and you want to keep your gas or electricity supply, you may have to accept the instalment of a prepayment meter.
    A prepayment meter will allow you to pay a fixed amount off your arrears at the same time as paying for the fuel you're currently using.
    Some groups of customers may have extra protection from being disconnected. This may apply to you if you:
    • are of pensionable age
    • have long-term ill-health
    • are disabled
    • have severe financial problems.
    If you're in one of these groups of people, make sure the fuel company knows this when you get in touch with them.
    You can find more information about the steps a fuel supplier must take before disconnecting you on the website of the consumer watchdog, Consumer Focus at: openinnewwin.gifwww.consumerfocus.org.uk.
    The Home Heat Helpline offers advice on energy efficiency and fuel debts to low income consumers. The Helpline's advisers can help identify where free energy efficiency measures might be available and can also ensure that vulnerable customers are not at risk of fuel supply disconnection. You can contact the Home Heat Helpline on 0800 33 66 99.
    For more information about fuel arrears and disconnection, see Gas supply and Electricity supply.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    As regards adding the arrears to your IVA, you need to discuss this with your IP. It may be possible to do this and revise your monthly payment accordingly, but try and sort something with your supplier first. If they have sent you a disconnection notice ring the number Kris advises and try and get something sorted. You could also look on the forums, I believe there is one that deals with gas and electricity issues, someone on there may be able to advise further. Good luck.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • davebeddo
    davebeddo Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    thanks folks as usual very helpful i love this site
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts