Debate House Prices

Since the Forum relaunch, in order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Forget Gold: Shiny Stuff Outperformed By Garlic......

124»

Replies

• edited 17 May 2010 at 6:12AM
    MrEnglishMrEnglish
    322 Posts
    edited 17 May 2010 at 6:12AM
    is no-one going to answer my question about VAT on platinum (and silver, etc)?

Im no V.A.T expert but heres my 2p worth from my experience.

I have been getting advice years ago where is the best place to buy and sell silver in the UK?

The best advice right now is -

Silver Bullion: BE CAREFUL!!!!! Don't sell to Coin Shops or cash for Bullion Buyers!!

All these companies cash for bullion, they know prices are going way higher. They know there are shortages.

Its actually very very easy to sell bullion because more and more people are trying to buy and yes you can sell for more than the dealers sell who charge V.A.T on top. These days people like the privacy of buying private instead of from a dealer where they record their personal details.

So Im sorry to disagree with you Really2 maybe you know more about the complexities of V.A.T than I do. But in this case with silver bullion the truth is you can easily sell your bullion with no V.A.T for more than what you paid including V.A.T.

I have just done some comparisons myself. Its easy to compare the prices of new silver bullion to buying the same thing private where there is no V.A.T and the prices are very similar.

NEW with V.A.T from your company you quoted 1kg silver bullion bar

http://www.cooksongold.com/Gold-and-Silver-Bars/

Net Price £507.16
    Postage & Packing £11.50
    VAT £90.77
    Total Price £609.43

2nd hand private sale same bar no V.A.T £797.00 Postage £6.49 same bar no V.A.T but over £200 more.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FINE-SILVER-BAR-1kg-investment-collector-gift-/170128967390?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Coins_Bullion_Bars_SM&hash=item279c7a06de#ht_500wt_956

Thats silver bullion Im interested in, not sure about scrap silver. I stay away from it myself.

Is the scrap silver you are talking about REALLY2 the same as silver shot? like this
    https://www.ukbullion.co.uk/productDetails/391
    Or is it more like silver nuggets? How can you test it? The usual electric or acid test wouldnt work because you would have to test each tiny nugget!
  • Thanks for your kind words. I am like you 100% confident in physical gold and silver. 6000 years of success makes it the right choice for money.
    It's funny kings have tried for 1000s of years to create gold when all they need to do was loan paper into existence and !!!!!! like magic they created gold without creating it. LOL
  • RDB wrote: »
    Thanks for your kind words. I am like you 100% confident in physical gold and silver. 6000 years of success makes it the right choice for money.
    It's funny kings have tried for 1000s of years to create gold when all they need to do was loan paper into existence and !!!!!! like magic they created gold without creating it. LOL
    do you think Wispa Gold's are good investments?
  • ninky_2ninky_2 Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    chucky wrote: »
    do you think Wispa Gold's are good investments?

i'm going terry's all gold. see the face you love light up......
    Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves. - Lord Byron
  • SnoozeSnooze Forumite
    2K Posts
    MrEnglish wrote: »
    I have just done some comparisons myself. Its easy to compare the prices of new silver bullion to buying the same thing private where there is no V.A.T and the prices are very similar.

NEW with V.A.T from your company you quoted 1kg silver bullion bar

http://www.cooksongold.com/Gold-and-Silver-Bars/

Net Price £507.16
    Postage & Packing £11.50
    VAT £90.77
    Total Price £609.43

2nd hand private sale same bar no V.A.T £797.00 Postage £6.49 same bar no V.A.T but over £200 more.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FINE-SILVER-BAR-1kg-investment-collector-gift-/170128967390?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Coins_Bullion_Bars_SM&hash=item279c7a06de#ht_500wt_956

Your argument doesn't hold.... Yes, that guy on feebay is advertising it at £797 but he hasn't actually sold any. If you look at the history for his item you'll see the last time he sold any 1kg bars was back in 2008 for £460.

I could put my own ad on ebay flogging 1kg bars for £1000 each, but I probably wouldn't sell any. I think it's highly unlikely that the other guy will sell any at his price either, therefore your claimed £200 profit is nothing more than an illusion.
  • Despite the lunatic ramblings of the gold bugs on here, there were many commodities that outperformed Gold's 24% rise in 2009.

To name a few....... cocoa (+25 per cent), palm oil (+53 per cent), cotton (+54 per cent), rubber (+102 per cent), orange juice (+107 per cent), zinc (+111 per cent), raw sugar (+127 per cent), lead (+145 per cent) and garlic (+300 per cent).
    So there might be a future in changing gold to lead?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Snooze wrote: »
    Your argument doesn't hold.... Yes, that guy on feebay is advertising it at £797 but he hasn't actually sold any. If you look at the history for his item you'll see the last time he sold any 1kg bars was back in 2008 for £460.

I could put my own ad on ebay flogging 1kg bars for £1000 each, but I probably wouldn't sell any. I think it's highly unlikely that the other guy will sell any at his price either, therefore your claimed £200 profit is nothing more than an illusion.

If you look at the average price these bars sell for its more than they cost new with VAT.

Metalor bars are a little cheaper than the Umicore bars, but the private market is with no vat more than new including vat.
  • LoopgamesLoopgames Forumite
    805 Posts
    Just found this thread and found it amusing.

I find it laughable that people think buying food today and stocking up is better than buying gold. I don't know what kind of genetically modified food would last longer than gold!!
  • Loopgames wrote: »
    Just found this thread and found it amusing.

I find it laughable that people think buying food today and stocking up is better than buying gold. I don't know what kind of genetically modified food would last longer than gold!!

Your right, how does that benefit you.

If we are in a situation where the shops are empty and panic buying then think how bad things have got and what the price of gold will be?

I personally dont think it will get that bad. But hard times are coming thats for sure.

With all the cuts coming in everywhere, average wages still falling in relation to real inflation. Unemployment going up. House prices and rents in long term decline in most of the developed world.

The stock market in long term bear market, looking ever more unstable. These last few devastating falls are a sign of things to come.

All that is nothing compared with the worlds rapidly expanding currency supply. All that extra currency being created out of thin air has to be soaked up like a sponge soaking up water. It will mean much higher prices for goods and services.

I am not all doom and gloom though. Wealth doesnt get lost it gets transfered.

We are on the verge of the biggest wealth transfer the world has ever seen.

When gold and silver revalue themselves to catch up with the amount of currency that has been added to the worlds supply. This will be the time when those who moored their wealth in the safe harbour of gold and silver will survive the coming storm.
  • LoopgamesLoopgames Forumite
    805 Posts
    Mr English - How much silver and gold do you recommend one should buy to ride out any potential storm? I agree with your points too.

I've been using the bullion vault but unsure how much to put to one side.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals