Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Forget Gold: Shiny Stuff Outperformed By Garlic......

Options

Comments

• Really2
    Really2 Posts: 12,397 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sarkin1 wrote: »
    I believe thats why they invented these

Elizabeth_II_pre_decimal_sovereign_coin.jpg&size=19&dhm=1cc4079d&hl=en

How much is a gold sovereign worth £200 ish.

Thats a pricey couple of loafs of bread if you ask me.
  • Harry_Powell
    Harry_Powell Posts: 2,089 Forumite
    Options
    is no-one going to answer my question about VAT on platinum (and silver, etc)?
    "I can hear you whisperin', children, so I know you're down there. I can feel myself gettin' awful mad. I'm out of patience, children. I'm coming to find you now." - Harry Powell, Night of the Hunter, 1955.
  • sarkin1
    sarkin1 Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really2 wrote: »
    How much is a gold sovereign worth £200 ish.

Thats a pricey couple of loafs of bread if you ask me.

maybe people will use IOU's
    :cool:
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    is no-one going to answer my question about VAT on platinum (and silver, etc)?

Not only do they have to pay VAT on them, meaning an instant 17.5% loss against real value, but precious metals in small enough quantities to be practical also attract a premium against spot price. A premium that is difficult to recover in the event of sale in many cases.

Bullionvault et al are a more efficient way of doing it, but only if you believe they actually have all the physical gold to back up your investment....;) And below a certain amount you have to accept redemption in currency anyway.

In theory, there's nothing wrong with including some precious metals as part of a balanced investment strategy. As with any other commodity.

But in reality, the gains are usually nowhere near what is claimed by looking at spot prices.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • LisbonLaura
    LisbonLaura Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

To name a few....... cocoa (+25 per cent), palm oil (+53 per cent), cotton (+54 per cent), rubber (+102 per cent), orange juice (+107 per cent), zinc (+111 per cent), raw sugar (+127 per cent), lead (+145 per cent) and garlic (+300 per cent).

But the real stars have been far more mundane commodities.

Like Coal + 16% this year, Nickel + 33% this year, and Steel, up a whopping + 49% this year.

Any of these in your portfolio HM?
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    if only gordon had invested in garlic with the funds he had from selling our gold on the cheap we'd be thinking now that heas a financial genius .. i think he got euros didn't he ?
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    And even with today's little bounce, Gold still outperformed by any one of a basket of currencies.

Gold may well climb for a bit yet, but it won't outperform more credible and useful commodities and it will crash this year.

100% guaranteed.;)
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

• HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    edited 7 May 2010 at 10:15AM
    Options
    Any of these in your portfolio HM?

Nope.

I don't really gamble on commodities. Blue chip equities, cash and property for me. But then my investment horizon is decades, not a few months. I'll take the odd punt on something that looks undervalued from time to time, in any category, but I'm more a buy and hold investor.

We do have small amounts of physical gold and silver, a few ounces of gold and a couple of large bars of silver, bought a decade ago when we lived overseas. The two bars of silver are currently used as paperweights on our desks at home.

The gold is in a safety deposit box and will be given to our nephews and neices when they graduate from Uni. Only worth a grand or two for each of them, but something they'll probably appreciate.

But they are novelty items.

Useful only for mildly distracting chat at dinner parties, much like our art or persian rugs. Nice enough, but not particularly valuable, nor anything worth evaluating on a regular basis other than for insurance purposes.

If the SHTF I'd be stocking up on ammo and salt..... Useful things.

And physical shiny metal is not really an especially credible part of a portfolio, for the reasons I outlined earlier. A very minor hedge against, well, being invaded by gold bugs or something, perhaps. But no more than that.

• rosa_luxembourg
    Options
    Nope.

I don't really gamble on commodities. Blue chip equities, cash and property for me. But then my investment horizon is decades, not a few months. I'll take the odd punt on something that looks undervalued from time to time, in any category, but I'm more a buy and hold investor.

We do have small amounts of physical gold and silver, a few ounces of gold and a couple of large bars of silver, bought a decade ago when we lived overseas. The two bars of silver are currently used as paperweights on our desks at home.

The gold is in a safety deposit box and will be given to our nephews and neices when they graduate from Uni. Only worth a grand or two for each of them, but something they'll probably appreciate.

But they are novelty items.

Useful only for mildly distracting chat at dinner parties, much like our art or persian rugs. Nice enough, but not particularly valuable, nor anything worth evaluating on a regular basis other than for insurance purposes.

If the SHTF I'd be stocking up on ammo and salt..... Useful things.

And physical shiny metal is not really an especially credible part of a portfolio, for the reasons I outlined earlier. A very minor hedge against, well, being invaded by gold bugs or something, perhaps. But no more than that.

I very much liked this post, and just thought I'd bump it.
    Die, die sich nicht bewegen, beachten nicht ihre Ketten.
  • LisbonLaura
    LisbonLaura Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I very much liked this post, and just thought I'd bump it.

Yes, it looks well argued; & polished, as ever from Hamish.

It is however flawed in one seemingly minor area, & by the time you have worked it out it may be too late.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure