Gas and electricity rip off!

Options
Hiya
I wonder if someone could give me some advice. Checking my bank account i've just noticed that british gas have put our monthly direct debits up to:
Gas: £73
Electricity: £54
We live in a four bedroomed semi.
Does this seem like a hell of a lot of money or is it average because of the price hikes?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.
January budget
Nothing left!

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If i were you, I would ring & ask why. Have they written to you at all..... because I think that they have to give you written notice that they are changing the amount under the Direct Debit Guarantee.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • saubryn
    saubryn Posts: 610 Forumite
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they should have notified you too.

Electricity is only a little higher than I pay - I live in a two bedroomed flat but have two computers and an electric cooker.

Gas seems incredibly high to me - especially for the summer. Do you run the heating all the time? Have you had a lot of estimated bills in the past?
    DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
    Status as of 30/11/12
    [strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]
  • domestic_goddess
    Options
    I would look around at switching. Try U switch on quidco and get money back for changing to a cheaper provider....

:rotfl:
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm on a key system, it's something the previous houseowners did, I thought I would carry on with it as I have to top it up before I spend it.

I have the computer on most of the time, got to admit I'm not the worlds biggest cook, so don't use the oven much, but do like coffee's (so kettle is on a lot!) and TV is usually on.

Costs me at the moment, roughly £3.50 a week. I am on Economy 7 though, so set the washing machine to go at night. In the winter costs a lot more though because of the heating and lighting, up to £11 a week.
  • bonnie_2
    bonnie_2 Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    Options
    the gas sounds about right, mine is £71, but leccy is a bit high mine is £35. It's quite hard to get cheap fuel now, i just cut back instead i.e i only tumble dry sheets,towels and jeans everything else gets hung up. don't have all the lights on if your not in a room, turn everything of.
  • savvykaz
    savvykaz Posts: 890 Forumite
    Options
    If you cook by gas then it may be about right, if not, then I think the gas is rather high too! My OH puts our leccy on constant every weekend when I am at work and our combined bill is only £83 pcm.
    I too can't stress enough - you MUST change from British gas - they are probably the WORST!
    DMP starts June 2012, £38,180.

Balance June 2015 £26,046 (paid off 32%)

DMP mutual support thread no 434
  • joseph_2
    joseph_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Wow,

That gas bill seems high. Im with BG and ive just got my quarterly bill - £34. I had to go and check the meter to see if was right!!
  • LJD1_2
    LJD1_2 Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your replys. We don't have the heating on much. The hob is gas but the oven is electric. I don't use the tumble dryer much either so I think it's time to change. I was thinking of using u switch but forgot about doing it through quidsco so thanks for the reminder.
    January budget
    Nothing left!
  • roswell
    roswell Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Options
    take meter readings and call them with the reading each month so they can project your usage better.
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • North-East_Quine
    Options
    Reading the above posts I can't believe how cheap everyone's bills are!! We live in a 5-bed modern detached house (although there are only 3 of us now) and the house is always freezing because of heating bills. We pay a whopping £109 per month for Electricity and £104 per month for Gas to Atlantic Elec & Gas. I've changed now to nPower and they will be charging me £60 for Gas and £73 for Electricity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport