MSE News: Santander pulls top cash Isa from general release

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Its Flexible Isa pays 3.2% but, from today, is only available to anyone with with a Santander or A&L current account ..."

Comments

• CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Would it have to be your "main" current account?

So long as you use their switching service to transfer a current account, wouldn't that work just the same? Maybe setup a couple of standing orders to pay yourself a token amount at some date in the future and a switch a direct debit from a dormant credit card? So long as you then meet the funding requirements for their savings or overdraft accounts, couldn't you get around it that way?
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • snigbob
    snigbob Posts: 5 Forumite
    I signed up for one of these in early April at the start of this tax year and my full ISA allowance for 2010 is now in place. Are they going to close it on me or change my interest rate?? By chance I do have an A+L account but it is not my main account but is sometimes used for other various deposits and transfers.
    Looks like I might have to get down to the branch this week to find out...? Any thoughts?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 May 2010 at 6:31PM
    Due to adverse comment, among other things, regarding Santander group throughout this site, I'm thinking of transferring my current account to, maybe, Halifax for the £5/month on offer.

I already have A&L's Flexible ISA and wonder whether they might insist I transfer that to another manager. It seems unlikey but any thoughts anyone ?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • lewis89
    lewis89 Posts: 11 Forumite
    snigbob wrote: »
    I signed up for one of these in early April at the start of this tax year and my full ISA allowance for 2010 is now in place. Are they going to close it on me or change my interest rate?? By chance I do have an A+L account but it is not my main account but is sometimes used for other various deposits and transfers.
    Looks like I might have to get down to the branch this week to find out...? Any thoughts?

you dont need to do anything , you will receive the rate promised for 12 months.
  • Joto_2
    Joto_2 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    They have changed the rules again. You must now have had the current account open for 3 months to be eligible. I took my son in today to open his first Isa and he wasn't eligible.
    Next best seems to be Barclays at 3.1 and no you don't have to be a customer
    Look after the pennies and the £££s will look after themselves
  • pKaTz
    pKaTz Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bank with A&L and saw an advisor at Santander today. She told me that as I did not have a Santander account I could not open a flexible ISA. She even printed out the terms & conditions for me.
    I was too late with the A&L Flexible boat, and now they have changed the terms from 4th May.
    Even though A&L is in the same group as Santander, because they are not on their system I can't open an account. That can't be right?
    Can it?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Unfortunately, banks seem to be a law unto themselves. They can change Ts & Cs at any time they want for new customers so I fear there isn't much one can do about it.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure