English money out of Scottish ATM's

Options

Comments

• lm07
    lm07 Posts: 370 Forumite
    Options
    Your other option is cashback from using the self service tills in a supermarket (I know the tills in Asda and Sainsburys but not Tesco up here do this) and I've often found I'm more likely to end up with english fivers. Having said that there have been times I get a mixture and on the odd occassion all scottish notes. It is frustrating going down south and some refusing to take scottish notes (especially in London) but I suppose it comes down to unfamiliarity.
  • eilidh_s
    eilidh_s Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    Actually, no paper money, whether English or Scottish, is legal tender. Only coinage is. I have used my Scottish money the world over and never had any problems with it. I even used RBS pound notes in Falmouth! I once used Gibralter pounds in a shop in Glasgow, I'm not sure whether I should have or not but I thought I might as well try them and they were accepted.

The only money I have ever had problems with is Ukranian money, apparently you aren't allowed to take it out of the country but nobody mentioned that to us when we were there!
  • tryingtobegood
    Options
    I've always managed to get English notes at a Barclays ATM. If you can go into your bank , if they have any notes then they'll normally oblige by exchanging your Scottish ones for English. I have done this in Bank of Scotland and also the Llyods TSB in Braehead.
    Must learn not to count chickens before they are hatched!!!!:D

Every day is a new challenge not a new problem!:p

SW start 08/01/14 4/21lbs (1st target) :j
  • reduceditem
    reduceditem Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Options
    The closest ATM to me is a 'Post Office' one (they are new, but most post offices seem to have them). I seldom use it as I think there is a small charge to use my bank card there.....but it has always given English notes.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The closest ATM to me is a 'Post Office' one (they are new, but most post offices seem to have them). I seldom use it as I think there is a small charge to use my bank card there.....but it has always given English notes.

I'd be surprised if there is a charge, the Post Office web site says their ATMs are free-to-use, the only exception might be if your Post Office has one that isn't operated by Bank of Ireland, although it's not clear from the site whether there actually are any of these.
  • reduceditem
    reduceditem Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if there is a charge, the Post Office web site says their ATMs are free-to-use, the only exception might be if your Post Office has one that isn't operated by Bank of Ireland, although it's not clear from the site whether there actually are any of these.

I don't know if there is a charge, it's just that you get that 'your bank may charge for this transaction' warning....I've never actually checked to see if I have been charged.

Always English notes though.
  • arealhighlander
    Options
    TECHNICALLY English notes are not Legal Tender in Scotland, the only one that was legal was the £1 which England have now stopped.

All notes are a "legal" as any other, the problem is that a lot of places in England are not used to seeing Scottish notes and are afraid of taking fake notes.

NatWest ATMs generally give out English notes.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    All notes are a "legal" as any other, the problem is that a lot of places in England are not used to seeing Scottish notes and are afraid of taking fake notes.

On top of that, smaller retailers would face a real challenge trying to give a Scottish banknote in change to an English customer.
  • JanineB
    JanineB Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was in Alton Towers a few years back and the girl at the McDonalds there told me I had foreign currency! I asked for her manger and he took the money no problem.
  • ANDY-pandy_5
    Options
    DO NOT take Scottish notes to the Ukraine.

I tried for several days to change £500 worth of notes with no success. Eventually an independent changed them off book for 10UAH to the pound.

The exchange rate displayed for pounds was 12.4UAH to the pound.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure