New mattress but what type ?

Options

Comments

• Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 May 2010 at 5:30PM
    Options
    Well,in the end I went to a local independent shop,long established in the area so he must be doing something right.
    I must have lay on a dozen mattresses...in my work clothes lol....and ultimately bought the one that felt the must comfortable which turned out to be a traditional pocket sprung type by the name of Hush A Bye Chichester.
    I have no way of knowing if Tim thinks these are any good,or even if he has heard of them but I've made my choice and now I'll sleep on it :)

I also bought some memory foam pillows while I was there
  • philipcook
    philipcook Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Nile,

I can't understand either, I am new to this site and when I see your response item no. 40 explaining why my question item no. 39 is being deleted I assumed it was deleted.

Regards Phil.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    philipcook wrote: »
    Hi Nile,

I can't understand either, I am new to this site and when I see your response item no. 40 explaining why my question item no. 39 is being deleted I assumed it was deleted.

Regards Phil.

Nile was only posting the rules as to why a post might be deleted and why Tim Deegan can't advise on what make of mattress to buy.

Your post is still there.
  • philipcook
    Options
    Hi Nile,

I am disappointed Tim is not allowed to list best mattress manufacturers but surprised he is able to knock Silentnight and also Argos beds.

Regards Phil
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    philipcook wrote: »
    Hi Nile,

I am disappointed Tim is not allowed to list best mattress manufacturers but surprised he is able to knock Silentnight and also Argos beds.

Regards Phil

Silentnight is not well regarded by a lot on here, not just Tim.

Basically Tim has not started up a thread saying don't buy ............. etc, etc. He has answered people who have asked an opinion on a specific mattress.

That's rather different to posting a list of favoured mattress manufacturers, some of which he may sell and lead to business for him.
  • philipcook
    Options
    Hi Jem

I don't know where Tim has his business or what his website is and I am sure most people asking questions on this forum don't either, I am not looking to buy from him so I can't see how naming best mattress manufacturers is putting business his way. I am sure Tim only buys from trustworthy manufacturers after reading his replies but I would be surprised if he deals with all of them and as long as he listed all and not just the ones he sells, I can't see a problem, but rules are rules I suppose. All I want from this forum is advice on buying the best bed and mattress without being ripped off and without having to sift through hundreds of posts. I have done the sifting but I am still confused as to what to buy and where to get it from.

Regards Phil.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    I give a wide range of general advice on what is good and what is bad, and what is just a gimmick in bed and mattress construction. I also give advice on which manufacturers have lowered their quality in order to cut production costs. And I also give advice on some of the sales tactics used by some sellers.

What I'm not going to do is advise on makes or models of mattress, and this is for two main reasons:
    1. We are all different, and have different preferences. So if I were to recommend a mattress that someone then bought, but then found it not to their liking, then they would assume that I had given bad advice. This is why I give guidance on what to look out for in a bed retailer, and then it is up to you to use that advice to narrow down the huge list of retailers. Then you should actually speak to them to discuss what type of mattress would be the most suitable for you personally.
    2. If I were to recommend a brand that I actually sell, then I would be accused of trying to promote my products, which is not what I am on here to do. I am on here to tell the truth about the gimmicks, myths, hype, and sales tactics used in the bed industry, so that people have a far better chance of buying the right mattress at the right price, without being ripped off.
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What are your views on pocket sprung pillows Tim ?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    What are your views on pocket sprung pillows Tim ?

A complete gimmick, don't waste your money.
  • Rufty1
    Rufty1 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear team,
    I am hoping for more advice please, perhaps from the ever helpful and very patient Tim?

I have taken the previous advice, and coupled with trying some out, have decided to go for a pocket sprung with latex top.
    I am looking for Kingsize* and have found two really comfortable ones today. Does anyone know of pros, cons or cheaper places?
    They are
    Highgrove Repose (1000 springs, 2in latex - see I was listening to Tims advice) £449
    Sealy Pocket Latex Posturepaedic (spelling?). This has 1360 springs with another 600 on top and just a thin layer of latex on top (not in line with the 2-2.5in in Tims advice). This was Sleepmaster and they offered a deal if I went with a frame I was also looking at (Madison frame, would then be £399) making the mattress £600.
    I realise they are different beast, but in my 10minutes comfort test were similar. Any comments/views on long term use?
    I really value advice on this complex area, especially as I am hunting alone (but ever hopeful - hence the kingsize, not single!!!)

Thank you

Actually a Queensize would fit in the room better, but I haven't found any in any showrooms - any suggestions???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure