New mattress but what type ?

Options

Comments

• Mum22
    Mum22 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry again, now have to decide on deep quilt, tufted or micro quilt. Argos have a Airsprung Cranmore Comfort Single Mattress. at £95 down from £239.. Is that a bragian or am I falling into the fact that it seems a good deal?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Mum22 wrote: »
    Sorry again, now have to decide on deep quilt, tufted or micro quilt. Argos have a Airsprung Cranmore Comfort Single Mattress. at £95 down from £239.. Is that a bragian or am I falling into the fact that it seems a good deal?

It's just a mid range open coil sprung mattress, and would never be worth £240. You can get far better for less.

Airsprung are towards the bottom end of the quality range. Stay away from the big brands.

For a toddler I would go for deep quilted or micro quilted.
  • scarlet74
    scarlet74 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to tag along, but I remember quite a long mattress thread somewhere that mentioned what type of mattress was best suited to a wooden-slatted bed frame. I can't seem to find it, but does anyone happen to know off hand what type was most suitable?

I think it was all to do with the type of springs, if that's any help!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    scarlet74 wrote: »
    Sorry to tag along, but I remember quite a long mattress thread somewhere that mentioned what type of mattress was best suited to a wooden-slatted bed frame. I can't seem to find it, but does anyone happen to know off hand what type was most suitable?

I think it was all to do with the type of springs, if that's any help!

Open coil sprung mattresses are the most suitable for slatted bases. However you can use pocket sprung mattresses on them if you lay a sheet of pegboard or hardboard over the slats to spread the weight out.
  • scarlet74
    scarlet74 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers Tim!

I knew you'd have the answer - in fact, I'm pretty sure it was you who came up with the answer in the first place. Thank you, sir!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    scarlet74 wrote: »
    Cheers Tim!

I knew you'd have the answer - in fact, I'm pretty sure it was you who came up with the answer in the first place. Thank you, sir!

Yes it probably was me.
  • Alsatianx2
    Options
    Hi Newbie here, have been reading pages and pages of forum stuff on mattresses but was hoping someone could help me out here. Is Factory Beds Direct reputable and do they sell good mattresses. I am thinking of buying this one:

factory-beds-direct - king-size-mattresses - evolution-pocket-suspension

or this one:

factory-beds-direct - king-size-mattresses - l'amour-pocket-reflex-1000-kingsize

A soft to medium or a medium mattress, must be pocket spring.

Thanks in advance
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Alsatianx2 wrote: »
    Hi Newbie here, have been reading pages and pages of forum stuff on mattresses but was hoping someone could help me out here. Is Factory Beds Direct reputable and do they sell good mattresses. I am thinking of buying this one:

factory-beds-direct - king-size-mattresses - evolution-pocket-suspension

or this one:

factory-beds-direct - king-size-mattresses - l'amour-pocket-reflex-1000-kingsize

A soft to medium or a medium mattress, must be pocket spring.

Thanks in advance

The pocket suspension system in the evoloution is actually a bit of a gimmick which could cause an uneven feel to the mattress. It seems to be a cheaper version of the spring within spring system, which to be honest is also a gimmick. You should get a mattress with pocket springs that are the most suitable for your weight and your preference, rather than having two different types of spring in the same mattress.

The L'Amour is pocket sprung with reflex foam. I presume this is trying to be a cheaper alternative to pocket sprung with memory foam, but the support won't come close.

Instead of either of these you would be better off with a good quality pocket sprung only mattress with all the springs the same tension.
  • Alsatianx2
    Options
    Tim,

Thanks for the quick reply, what kind of spring count for 165lbs of weight and would I need medium to soft or medium for the best support. I definitely do not like or want a firm feel mattress.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Alsatianx2 wrote: »
    Tim,

Thanks for the quick reply, what kind of spring count for 165lbs of weight and would I need medium to soft or medium for the best support. I definitely do not like or want a firm feel mattress.

The spring count isn't directly determined by the firmness. Just keep it between 1000 and 1800.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure