weeds

I take my eye off the ball for a short time and allotment covered in weeds. Spent yesterday weeding carrots and parsnips and today onions and potatoes. Site is now looking good but it sure is hard work doing Tesco out of business.

Comments

• Kay_Peel
    Kay_Peel Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Yes, the combination of sunshine followed by showers has made those weeds spurt into life.

Talking of Tescos - I read that they have been slated for the poor quality of their veg, in comparison with other supermarkets. They go for quantity rather than quality, we know, but staff don't seem to know how to handle the produce carefully. I have a friend who has no hesitation in taking back bruised potatoes or mushy celery hearts or any veg/fruit that does not meet her standards - in fact she seems to do this on a weekly basis. Tescos replace them, always, but that's not the point.

So hurrah for people trying to grown their own and battling weeds, and hurrah for people who won't let Tescos get away with selling us expensive but damaged and tasteless produce.

See what you've made me do, IrishWexford - you've made me get on my soap-box! I'll get down now ..... :rotfl:
  • Ladyhawk
    Ladyhawk Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    I came on to the board with the same problem re weeds... my small garden is covered with dandelions... what can I do to get rid of them?
    Man plans and God laughs...
    Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
  • Kay_Peel
    Kay_Peel Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    You could dig them out - and that's difficult because the roots break and the dandelion springs back to life with a vengeance.

You could spray each one with weedkiller. As soon as they start to flower, nip the buds out, bash it with the heel of your shoe or boot and then soak it with poison.

Or get a blow-torch or a red hot poker and plunge it into the centre of the plant. They don't like it up 'em!

Good luck.
  • irishwexford
    irishwexford Posts: 561
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I look at the price of fruit and veggies in supermarkets and feel smug until I remember how much this allotment has cost us over three years, the rent is only £14 for 20 rod but stocking up on enviro cages and netting and other things to keep birds/butterflies at bay, manure, feed etc it would be cheaper to just buy veggies but its the taste and the satisfaction of digging up stuff you have grown that does it. With so many gardeners growing their own veggies it would be interesting to know how supermarkets fare in the cropping season.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure