PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Building survey - plain wrong!

Options
Hi there,
Had our survey done for HSBC via e.surv. The valuation came back as £65k less than we were offering. Had to pull out as the numbers didn't then add up with our mortgage.
Spoke to the agent yesterday who is also selling our place. She has just told me that the place went back on the market, and 2 WEEKS LATER the survey (done again by e.surv) has valued it as worth £5k more than we were paying for it! A whopping £70k difference in the 2 surveys done by the SAME company.
She has queried this, and was simply told that the first valuation was a mistake. This mistake has cost me £350 in solicitor fees and £1300 in (full) survey fees. Not to mention losing a really nice house.
Does anyone know where we stand on this... any chance of a refund. We were willing to respect the first decision, but this just isn't on!

Cheers A

Comments

• Milliewilly
    Milliewilly Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Options
    Alison74 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Had our survey done for HSBC via e.surv. The valuation came back as £65k less than we were offering. Had to pull out as the numbers didn't then add up with our mortgage.
    Spoke to the agent yesterday who is also selling our place. She has just told me that the place went back on the market, and 2 WEEKS LATER the survey (done again by e.surv) has valued it as worth £5k more than we were paying for it! A whopping £70k difference in the 2 surveys done by the SAME company.
    She has queried this, and was simply told that the first valuation was a mistake. This mistake has cost me £350 in solicitor fees and £1300 in (full) survey fees. Not to mention losing a really nice house.
    Does anyone know where we stand on this... any chance of a refund. We were willing to respect the first decision, but this just isn't on!

Cheers A

E-Surv strike again. Have you a high ltv on your mortgage? E-Surv cost me my last sale because of their frankly hysterical report. I hope they don't do the next survey.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you can prove that the valuation was wrong it might be worth a complaint to HSBC on the basis that the surveyor was acting as the bank's agent and that you are out of pocket as a result of his incompetence.

I have not seen a case where this has occurred but I have seen other examples where FOS has upheld complaints that an agent of a financial institution (usually a tradesman acting for an insurer) has failed to doo a good job.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Formal complaint to HSBC first and also contact the RICS to register your dissatisfaction with a member of the organisation.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    Dirty deal? First surveyor knew someone else who wanted the house?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Alison74_2
    Options
    Many thanks for your responses... would be interested to hear from anyone else with this exact problem. We don't have a high LTV mortgage, but am concerned that this will happen again as we are searching in the same area, and according to my agent, these guys work in certain patches.... :(
  • mbga9pgf
    mbga9pgf Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    Options
    Use Direct valuations next time. We have used them for a recent purchase and HSBC accept their valuations no problems.

Much better than e.Surv, much quicker too.

If you want to do anything, I would reccommend laying a formal complaint with RICS, to see how they respond to the admission of error.

Its a pretty serious thing IMHO to get the valuation wrong.
  • Milliewilly
    Options
    mbga9pgf wrote: »
    Use Direct valuations next time. We have used them for a recent purchase and HSBC accept their valuations no problems.

Much better than e.Surv, much quicker too.

If you want to do anything, I would reccommend laying a formal complaint with RICS, to see how they respond to the admission of error.

Its a pretty serious thing IMHO to get the valuation wrong.

I wasn't aware you could stipulate to your lender which valuation surveyor they could use? Or are you saying to use a third party valuation to contest the original valuation and thus pay twice?
  • Former_MSE_Alana
    Options
    Hi,

We have received this response from e.surv:

"We were concerned to note the apparent difficulties experienced by Alison74 and would welcome the opportunity to investigate further. It may be that the Lender involved has already raised this matter with us, as would be the normal procedure in such instances; however, if we can be of general assistance, please do email us on CustomerCare@esurv.co.uk"
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    possibley dumb question, why would you pay £1300 for a full survey before you had the mortgage application agreed abd knew you were theortically proceedable?

Some of the cost may be e-surv but surely some is down to your poor choice of running order for what you paid for when? Unless I misunderstand what happened.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • Milliewilly
    Options
    Emmzi wrote: »
    possibley dumb question, why would you pay £1300 for a full survey before you had the mortgage application agreed abd knew you were theortically proceedable?

Some of the cost may be e-surv but surely some is down to your poor choice of running order for what you paid for when? Unless I misunderstand what happened.

I expect E-Surv did the valuation and building survey at the same time for £1300.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure