Benefit advice

Options
Posting for advice for the old dears;)

Dad is retired and has occ pension plus gets DLA HRC/HRM (I know it can't be touched)

Stepmum been off long term sick for 2 years gets IB (long term high rate)

They also get a wee drop Pension Credit, CTB and mortgage payment relief

Stepmum has now decided to resign from job completely and therefore she is entitled to 12 weeks accured holiday pay which they are going to pay over the next three months which will essentially be 3 months salary

So question is....am I right in thinking that they will lose all the benefits (non DLA 'natch) and that in 3 months time, Stepmum is going to have to apply for ESA and then Dad apply for Pension Credit etc again?

And if she doesn't get ESA (which I don't think she will), would there be an increase in Pension Credit/CTB and mortgage relief?
She wouldn't be claiming JSA as she still thinks she is too unwell to work.

Many thanks

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    Can they not just get PC as a couple rather than claim ESA.

Guaranteed PC is dependent on capital/income but if they get awarded it they will get the interest on their mortgage paid and full CTB.
  • Loopy_Girl
    Loopy_Girl Posts: 4,444 Forumite
    Options
    My Stepmum is a few years younger than my Dad and is not eligible for it based on her age
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    Loopy_Girl wrote: »
    My Stepmum is a few years younger than my Dad and is not eligible for it based on her age

Guarantee Credit

If you are living in Great Britain and have reached the minimum qualifying age, you may be entitled to the Guarantee Credit. This guarantees a minimum income by topping up your weekly income to:
    • £132.60 if you are single
    • £202.40 if you have a partner
    These amounts may be more if you are disabled, have caring responsibilities or certain housing costs, such as mortgage interest payments.
    The age from which you can get the Guarantee Credit – the qualifying age – is gradually increasing from 60 to 65 between April 2010 and 2020. To find out the age when you can apply for Pension Credit, you can use the State Pension age calculator.
    While you must have reached the qualifying age, you can still claim if your partner is under the qualifying age. If you or your partner are both over the qualifiying age either one of you can apply.
    ‘Partner’ is used to refer to:
    • your husband
    • your wife
    • your civil partner
    • the person you live with as if they were your husband, wife or civil partner
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/PensionCredit/DG_10018692
  • Loopy_Girl
    Options
    Ooohh...I didn't know that (precisely why I posted!!)

Thanks AOTG
  • Loopy_Girl
    Options

Guaranteed PC is dependent on capital/income but if they get awarded it they will get the interest on their mortgage paid and full CTB.

Yes they have been getting a small amount of PC plus all CTB and a small proportion of mortgage interest paid now.

No savings (as far as I know anyway!!).

Going to be alot of faffing around for the sake of 3 months but needs must.

Thanks again...will pass this onto the old boy :)
  • beanybop
    beanybop Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

Would your stepmum qualify for Carer's allowance?

Qualifying for this gives additional premiums, even if the Carer's allowance itself is not payable. It would also protect her pension entitlements.
  • catenorfolk
    catenorfolk Posts: 384 Forumite
    Options
    If their income has gone down a lot, try contacting their utility supplier as well to see if they are eligible for a social tariff. several of the large companies offer this facility. it is income related tho.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure