Bike brake so expensive

Options
moneyuser
moneyuser Posts: 1,085 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
The pistons on my hayes stroker ryde brake have seized and the bike shop is unable to repair. A replacment caliper (not inc the brake handle,disc, mount) is £55. I wouldn't mind paying that but I don't trust this make anymore as I've had a lot problems with the pistons sticking.

I have been looking at alternatives and the prices are £100 for a decent one.:eek: I don't want to get a cheap one and then have to replace it again in 12mths. Not much on ebay and the hayes seem to be going for 60-70 anyway.

I've tried putting compressed air through the caliper but had no luck. Maybe I need a more powerful compressor?

So, anyone got any money saving advice for a good cheap brake? :)

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 April 2010 at 7:01PM
    Options
    what about a juicy?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22185

i have never run them so cant comment on performance

ran these on my old bike with no problems

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20911

though i prefer a metal lever personally
    when i first got them i had to cut the tubing down,on reassembly i had a leak
    returned to magura and it turned out i had overtightened it :o
    caliper replaced and back ot me in under a week all done at no charge!!
  • Coveredinbees!!!!
    Options
    Can't you strip down the caliper and rebuild it with a seal kit? Dunno why a push bike needs a disc brake anyway but that's beside the point.
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't you strip down the caliper and rebuild it with a seal kit? Dunno why a push bike needs a disc brake anyway but that's beside the point.

rim brakes are heavily affected by mud/water
    discs brakes dont suffer from this,also you can build the wheels to run as wheels and not wheels/brake surfaces
    once you get used to the power of a disc brake you wont go back to rim brakes
  • naked
    naked Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Also rim brakes wear out your rims over time (especially in muddy mountain biking conditions). It's a good excuse for a new set of wheels but it's a lot of money compared to just a new rotor.

You can get some half decent stuff second hand. I got a pair of second hand Avid Juicy 5s with 180mm rotors and Goodridge hoses for about £50 off someone I'd met once previously :D
    You have to know what you're buying is any good though (i.e. not trashed or have stuck pistons).

Local MTB groups usually have a for sale noticeboard. Can also try Bike Radar, Singletrackworld etc.
    Stuff does come up on eBay at reasonable prices occasionally. Pairs of Juicy 5s were going for between £100 and £200 when I was looking.

There's a column in this month's MBR on servicing Avid Juicy brake and it mentions rebuilding the caliper to fix a stuck piston.
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    Avid calipers need a special syringe kit to bleed them.

I use XT brakes, they need bleeding about every 2 months (just a pipe and a bottle of oil), but apart from that they've been no problem.

I don't see why your Hayes would seize. Have you tried soaking them in whatever mineral oil/brake fluid they use? Obviously keep the pads well away from that oil.
  • moneyuser
    moneyuser Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Options
    With the compressor I had I couldn't get it to move. I've give it to my dad who has a more powerful compressor at work and some dot fluid. Maybe he will have more luck.

In the meantime I've just gone for the budget option and gone for a juicy 3. Can't afford to get the hope tech x2 that I wanted, maybe next year :) Hopefully it'll be ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure