Amex Cashback - any point threatening to leave?

Hi,

I've got the AMEX Platinum cash bank, spending about 10-12K per annum, now my first year is over my cashback is pants and they've sent me an offer to spend £4 a month to double my cashback % (ends up about a tenner better off in the end)

I'm tempted to call them up and say 'thanks for the money goodbye', in the vain hope they say we can do you a special one off extra x% for a year as a valued customer etc...

Has anyone done this and got anything out of them? I love their service and that they can wire £500 to your hotel reception in outer mongolia should your card get stolen so i don't really want to close the account hmm.... what to do :(

Comments

• catflea
    catflea Posts: 6,620 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2010 at 7:00PM
    Its more than then its worth ringing the retentions team on 08000 121 207

They have the option to give you the extra 50% for 3 months with no fee :D

BTW, the difference of the 0.5% initial rate compared to a flat 1% is just £17.50 so not all that massive....

with 10-12k spend you are not sadly in the upper echelons of spenders but they will want to keep your business.
    Proud of who, and what, I am. :female::male:
    :cool:
  • tipsychick
    tipsychick Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I phoned to close the card down when my cashback paid out in January and they offered to credit my account with £20 to stay, which I jumped at!

HTH
  • sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post
    Its a bad deal.

Im already getting the 50% cashback for free as I rang them up and asked for a deal.

Its a clever con, as the cashback offer lasts for 12 months, but the £4 a month fee lasts forever. Many people will be enticed by the 50% extra headline.

Incidently, when I had to call AMEX 3 times last year to get my cashback as they had calculated it wrong three times. Check your cashback peeps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure