Err...why is there patches of white fur growing from my wall???

Options
For two days I did not have a shower curtain. During that time some water from the shower must have sprayed onto the walls and a few days later I noticed patches of discolouration on two small sections of my wall. It was sort of greyish patches. I cleaned it off with bleach and it seemed to disappear. But then I noticed while the dark grey has gone there are now small patches of white fur growing. !!!!!!? I keep wiping it off and tried wiping it down with a Mold & Mildew spray from the hardware shop, but it keeps returning. What can be done?
I've always quite fancied Tony Blair and I still do.

Comments

• lxpeanut
    lxpeanut Posts: 8,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it sounds like you have a damp problem. Its probably not because you didn't have a shower curtain more likely your bathroom is not drying out properly between showers. Make sure you open windows and invest in a dehumidifier and put it on after a shower the problem will stop.
    "You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts" - Arthur Schlesinger

Proud to be have dealt with my debt :D Debt Free Sept 2012
  • poorly_scammo
    poorly_scammo Posts: 34,024 Forumite
    Options
    4.30: conduct pigeon orchestra...
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with LXPeanut, you need to properly dry the wall/ room out or the fungus will keep growing back.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • David_Aldred
    Options
    Consider checking whether the 'white fur' is salt or mold. There is a difference with regard to advice depending upon which is now present. Kindest regards David Aldred Independent damp and timber surveyor.
  • lolagirl
    lolagirl Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    Consider checking whether the 'white fur' is salt or mold. There is a difference with regard to advice depending upon which is now present. Kindest regards David Aldred Independent damp and timber surveyor.

It's definitely furry and almost cute in appearance. Not salt. This definitely never ever happened before until the two days with no shower curtain.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's on the other side of the wall where the mould is growing? Is it only growing on one wall, or more than one?

Do you wear a face mask when you're spraying and treating the outbreak?

"There are four kinds of health problems that come from exposure to mold:

* Allergic reactions
    * Irritation of tissues
    * Infections
    * Toxic effects due to mycotoxins

Mold can trigger an allergic reaction and asthma in sensitized individuals (repeated exposure to mold or mold spores sometimes causes previously non-sensitive individuals to become sensitized). About 15 million Americans are allergic to mold. The most common reactions are flu-like symptoms and asthma. Those with chronic lung or immune problems, are at risk for more serious reactions like fever, lung infections and a pneumonia-like illness.

Some toxic molds such as Aspergillus, Cladosporium, Penicillium, Stachybotrys, and Trichoderma produce mycotoxins capable of causing severe health problems.
    "

and, in someone else's opinion;

"If you have mold in your home, you should consult a professional before trying to remove it. If you remove it incorrectly you may actually make your home very dangerous to live in as disturbing the mold throws more spores into the air. When renovating, I suggest using a mold and mildew resistant paint in areas that are prone to moisture such as bathrooms, kitchen, and basement if it is finished. "
  • lolagirl
    lolagirl Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    The bathroom backs onto my bedroom closet. There were some greyish patches of damp on the bedroom side too but I wiped them off. I have not been wearing a mask when wiping off the mould. I am wondering if I should paint it all over with anti-mildew paint then?

The main issue now is a smell of dampness and this white fur. Yuck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure