Boss Opening Staff Bank Accounts?

Options
Has anyone had a brand new bank account been opened for them by the boss simply submitting your ID and signature to a bank on your behalf when not present when boss goes? Also, there are 10 staff who are getting bank accounts. Can this be done? I have never heard of it seems dodgie?

Comments

• catflea
    catflea Posts: 6,620 Forumite
    Options
    The only time I've heard of this it was in relation to squaddies who needed bank accounts to get their wages...
    Proud of who, and what, I am. :female::male:
    :cool:
  • bebewoo
    bebewoo Posts: 622 Forumite
    Options
    I has this done for me when I was a teenager and my job switched from cash to bank payments, they opened a Lloyds account for me and several others who did not already have bank accounts. No problem at all. Mind you this was many years ago!
    Seems a bit weird if you already have a bank account though.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 April 2010 at 5:10PM
    Options
    If anyone else did this it would be fraud, wouldn't it ?

If you're not happy about it then contact the bank and report it as fraud. It might be a good idea to tell the boss in case he tries to pay your salary/wages into an account you've closed.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Old_Wrinkly
    Old_Wrinkly Posts: 5,182 Forumite
    Options
    AzimScot wrote: »
    Has anyone had a brand new bank account been opened for them by the boss simply submitting your ID and signature to a bank on your behalf when not present when boss goes? Also, there are 10 staff who are getting bank accounts. Can this be done? I have never heard of it seems dodgie?

What "ID"?
    Name? Address? NI number? Everything?

Your signature on what?
    A bank account application form or just on a piece of scrap paper?

Unless they are simply acting as a delivery service, it seems in contravention of a bank's normal conditions i.e. that the applicant has to confirm that they know what they applying for ...
  • pjread
    pjread Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    An obvious question might be whether you work for a bank and the 'boss' is arranging staff accounts for people. Had that ten years ago when I joined Lloyds. Presume this isn't the case?

[disclaimer] no not retail banking in a branch and I left in 2003, in case anyone queries some of my sillier questions on here :) [/disclaimer]
  • AzimScot
    AzimScot Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    What "ID"?
    Name? Address? NI number? Everything?

Your signature on what?
    A bank account application form or just on a piece of scrap paper?

Unless they are simply acting as a delivery service, it seems in contravention of a bank's normal conditions i.e. that the applicant has to confirm that they know what they applying for ...

Yes a Phone bill with your name on it and a NI card photocopied?
    pjread wrote: »
    An obvious question might be whether you work for a bank and the 'boss' is arranging staff accounts for people. Had that ten years ago when I joined Lloyds. Presume this isn't the case?

[disclaimer] no not retail banking in a branch and I left in 2003, in case anyone queries some of my sillier questions on here :) [/disclaimer]

He surley doesn't work for the bank but apparantly has all his business accounts there and because of it has authority to open bank accounts for other people with the required ID? It seems very strange?

Thanks.
  • mrjam
    mrjam Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds a bit suspect to me. Although im naturally pesimistic. What has it got to do with any boss what bank account you have, surely everyone knows that you generally need a bank account to receive wages now, therefore its upto you to arrange that facility, why he would want to use his time and effort to "help" his staff get paid sounds a bit odd to me. I would be very cautious.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    He may just be trying to be helpful. I worked for a firm who would help staff open bank accounts, it was in both parties interests. As long as it only done with consent. However I'm a little surprised it is still possible with the hurdles banks now put in the way of account opening, in the name of anti-money-laundering.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Probably the ''boss'' is earning from this.
    From each ''introduction'' he will probably get anything from £10 to £25 per account!

The bank will be happy because they will achieve their sales targets the boss is happy for obvious reasons.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure