Four garden border plans as pdfs

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
5 replies 6.1K views
Steel_2Steel_2 Forumite
1.6K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I came across these while looking for some inspiration to plan a new border in my garden. Thought they might prove useful to someone else.

Gardens Illustrated Design Plans
"carpe that diem"

Replies

• maypolemaypole Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Steel wrote: »
    I came across these while looking for some inspiration to plan a new border in my garden. Thought they might prove useful to someone else.

Gardens Illustrated Design Plans

Thank you this is brilliant for me, I always like to look at border designs, I am in the midst of trying to design one now but I can never get my head around what to plant and when and where to put it.
  • serenaserena Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    What exactly are you planning maypole? I'm not a designer, but a very experienced gardener, and would be happy to lend a hand if you like.
    It is never too late to become what you were always intended to be
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    serena wrote: »
    What exactly are you planning maypole? I'm not a designer, but a very experienced gardener, and would be happy to lend a hand if you like.

Thank you

We have built a retaining wall about 5m long and just under 3m width or depth if you like, on a lower level of garden.
    There will have to be a small paved area running through the length of it so I can get to the plants to weed etc. When the paving is done I would think the back border will be a depth of about 3-4 ft this is backed by a high wall and the front border about 2ft depth.
    It is right on the sea front and faces north west. In my main garden which is just small and on an upper level, we have lots of salty wind tolerant shrubs but I don't want to use very expensive plants in this small part as people walk by the promenade and I do not want naughty people pulling out my plants.:(

We can't see this garden from the window, but I want it to look good and have some impact, I have already put in some edging plants as I love to see plants growing over the wall, all car boot sale purchases, but I don't want to see a little bit of this and that dotted all over ( like I usually do) then there is no impact.

bet you wish you'd never asked:eek:
  • serenaserena Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    On the contrary - how about smallish shruds like hebes, lavenders, cotton lavenders, escallonia is also good on the coast, as is tamarisk. Have a riffle through a biggish shrub reference book in hte libraray, looking for all the common names beginning with Sea - Sea Buckthorn, Sea Lavender etc etc. I've also seen Perovskia looking fantastic in August on the seaside.

To spread: osteospermum, - there are a couple of quite hardy low speading ones, look out for White Pim, or Osteospermum jucundum. Sea thrift (obvious!), the perennial mesembryanthemum, the name of which escapes me - dorotheanus??, limonium (a perennial statice, with clouds of lavenderish flowers, also known as sea lavender), sea hollies - (eryngiums), and euphorbia, also sea kale (crambe). Don't dismiss the common aubretia, perennial candytuft, alyssum, and that silvery leaved spreader with white flowers in spring - Cerastium tomentosum, common name Snow-in-Summer.

I have seen the horned poppy growing on the shingle on Whitstable beach, facing north, although an annual, it may be fun to include it. The Californian poppy, (Escholszia - I think that's how you spell it!) may also seed around. Looks great with sea hollies and lavender coloured things.

Don't forget there are also some fine ornamental grasses that would look great as well.

Enough to keep you going for a while??;)
    It is never too late to become what you were always intended to be
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Serena, that gives me some ideas. I do have a few of those you mentioned. Nice to know what will show in August too as that is a time that the garden can look a bit tired.

I love the Osteospermums, I bought some last year at the garden centre from the "sick" shelf, 50p each, got them back to life and they spread beautifully but, the frost must have got them and they've gone.

I am off to list these now.

Thanks again for taking the time :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals