PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Storing bedding

Options
Hi I'm trying to find a way to store my spare bedding, without taking up too much space. I tried those plastic bags which you suck the air out with a vacume cleaner, but I did this a few months ago, and I've just noticed that a quilt a a couple of pillows and cases (they're cotton polyester mix), have gone all mildewey inside. I had washed and dried them before putting them away. 1st do you know how to get rid of the mildew spots, and second any suggestions how best to store them.
Thanks
Mary

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi hampshirebabe,

This older thread might help you with the mildew problem:

How do I shift mould/mildew stains??

Pink
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Plastic isn't very good for storage - it doesn't allow the stuff to breathe, as you've found. I find the zip-up canvas bags best for long-term storage; Argos do them and they're quite cheap (£8 for a pack of 2: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8750400.htm. Lots on ebay much cheaper, obviously. Can usually squish down a king-size winter-weight quilt to fit inside and then slide under the bed.
  • sophiesmum_2
    sophiesmum_2 Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Options
    We use winter and summer weight quilts. When I am using the winter one I store the summer one spread out under the mattress, then when we change to the summer one I put the other under there. Saves lots of storage space being taken up and you don't really notice it there at all.
    sophiesmum:D
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've got plastic underbed boxes with wheels on. They are easy to slide out, put the stuff in, then slide back under the bed.

The only downside is my dog like to sleep under my bed during the day and she pushes all boxes out to make a space for herself :mad: :D
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Karb
    Karb Posts: 853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried keeping the bedroom door closed?

With the dog on the outside obviously ;-)
    Debt free since December 2015. It can be done

• hampshirebabe
    Options
    Thanks, thats a briliant idea keeping one duvet under the matress. And for the pillows and spare stuff, I've ordered a canvas underbed bag. Will try the sugestions on the "How do I shift mould/mildew stains??" thread.
    Cheers
  • Becles
    Options
    Karb wrote:
    Have you tried keeping the bedroom door closed?

With the dog on the outside obviously ;-)

Good idea but not practical.

My bedroom is in an extension above the garage, so it doesn't get heat from the rest of the house, and the radiators are the last two on a system that wasn't designed for extra radiators so they don't get as hot as they should! I tend to leave the bedroom door open all the time to let heat from the rest of the house into the room. You really notice the difference in the cold weather.

I do shut it when I go out through, otherwise the naughty dog gets into my bed - yuk!
  • arnie&caseysma!
    Options
    Becles wrote:
    Good idea but not practical.

My bedroom is in an extension above the garage, so it doesn't get heat from the rest of the house, and the radiators are the last two on a system that wasn't designed for extra radiators so they don't get as hot as they should! I tend to leave the bedroom door open all the time to let heat from the rest of the house into the room. You really notice the difference in the cold weather.

I do shut it when I go out through, otherwise the naughty dog gets into my bed - yuk!

We bought a puppy gate from argos which we fixed to the bedroom door so we could leave the door open without Arnie going in the bed. Now we have Casey aswell we also have one on the kitchen door to stop either of them getting up the stairs (no door there and handy when we need to keep them separate for a wee while!).

Only cost £22.99 - here's the link

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8704267.htm
    "Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
    Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
    Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
    My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
  • Becles
    Options
    That might be handy during the day too. My husband gets up for work at 4am and is home by lunchtime so he goes for a sleep in the afternoon.

The dog gets in the bedroom then, and lies under the bed doing stinky pumps and the smell drives my husband crackers :D
  • arnie&caseysma!
    Options
    They are great. Arnie likes his comfort and OH usually takes him upstairs when I am nightshift but I throw him out at 6am. I have not been able to get used to him being in the bed - wouldnt mind if he lay still as I know he's not a 'dirty dog' but hes under the covers, then too warm so hes out ontop of the covers etc. Casey sleeps in a cage still - she can't be trusted!!!! lol

Anyway, when Arnie gets thrown out of the room I close the gate (they are expanding gates for many doors BTW) and also close the door but he knows he just has to touch the door and he can open it (hence the gate in the first place!). He lies and whines at the gate until I lose the head and OH ends up getting up so I get the bed to myself!!!! Method in my madness!!!! May just work for you too!!!
    "Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
    Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
    Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
    My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure