PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How do I shift mould/mildew stains from a pram??

Options
Help needed!

I'm expecting my second baby and on looking out my old car seats/pram etc discovered that they had got a bit damp in the garage. Some of the covers have mould/mildew stains on them that hasn't come out in a wash.

Does anyone have any suggestions to shift these stains or at least lift a good part of them - I don't want to go and buy new pram covers etc!

Ta much

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome to the boards Weegie.

I dont think you can actually shift the mildew stains to be honest, you could try a weak solution of bleach, but that is likely to bleach the colour of them.
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Weegie,

I'm sure one of the vinegar brigade girls will be able to help you on this one ;) , they deffo helped me with loads of things around my gaff.

Welcome by the way :beer:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I found this which maybe beneficial to you.
  • greenlogo
    greenlogo Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Weegie (loving the handle btw :D ). For any white bits of the fabric etc, whitening toothpaste may work for you - just make sure you rinse well afterwards.
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    try rubbing with salt and half a lemon, it worked on my shower curtain.
  • weegie_2
    weegie_2 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent - thanks very much. I'll try the lemon and salt solution first and see if that works. Bleach is my last resort if nothing else works!

I did think of using some kind of vinegar solution but I'm not really sure what to mix it with - if any vinegar expert is in the know...do let me know!
  • carpool72
    carpool72 Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    weegie, I had exactly the same problem. Tried a few things, but Astonish Oxiplus powder worked like a charm - just soaked everything in it then washed it all in the bath & it all came up like new. I washed the cot & hard things with Milton, but would probably use vinegar now!

btw I use distilled white vinegar diluted in water for all sorts of things now. For laundry (ie stinky baby sick) a not very scientific cupful of vinegar to a basinful of water and soak until you can be bothered to wash it!
    £2 savers club - £62

Relaunched grocery challenge:

March target: £150 on food, £50 on other stuff - still not doing very well at keeping track...:o

:hello:
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    carpool72 wrote:
    Astonish Oxiplus powder worked like a charm

A solution of vinegar and bicarb has similar properties to all the Oxi cleaners, I'm no chemist and I'm sure Crana will correct me on that ;) , but in my experience they work the same.

When you first mix it it fizzes like crazy so do it over the sink.

I use a neat mix to de-gunge plug holes (sprinkle a bit into the plug hole then add the vinegar then wooosh)

I use a slightly diluted mix (1 part each of vinegar, bicarb and water) to keep the shower curtain clean.

I use a more diluted mix (1 part each of vinegar and bicarb, 2 parts water, 2 or drops of essential oils) as a fabric softner.

Speaking of getting baby clothes clean try replacing a cupful of wash powder for a cupful of soda crystals it gets them whiter than white.
    (I haven't actually got a baby, but it works on hubbies T-shirts and he's probably a messier eater :D )
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh, how I wish I'd found this site a few years ago ... I ended up throwing out an expensive pair of curtains because they had a mildew stain that no amount of soaking/washing would get rid of :o

I can vouch for soda crystals, as mentioned by Galtizz, as I use them on my son's incredibly muddy football kit and the white parts come out sparkling clean ... better than a Daz advert :rotfl:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How do you use the soda crystals?
    Love living in a village in the country side
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income