Halifax Hacks WebSaver Extra Rate to 2.6%

From today,the account that M.Lewis recommended in this week`s email has already been hacked from 2.8% to 2.6%. :mad:

Martin did say to keep an eye on the account because it was a variable rate, but for Halifax to chop so soon after is reprehensive.
Yet again Halifax have chopped saving rates.

Interest rates (AER) effective from 0.00am on 30th April 2010

£100,000+2.60%

£1+2.60%

http://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/websaverextra.asp

Comments

• rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Although MSE has only just picked up on it, it has been paying 2.8 & 3% for many months.

Note that if you have a current account you'll now be getting 2.8% on this account.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    2010 wrote: »
    From today,the account that M.Lewis recommended in this week`s email has already been hacked from 2.8% to 2.6%.
    A little adjustment down in line with the market, or a hack? A hack would be significantly more than 0.2% imho.
    Martin did say to keep an eye on the account because it was a variable rate, but for Halifax to chop so soon after is reprehensive.
    Why should they build their pricing around communications by Martin Lewis / MSE? That's a really odd thing to say.
    Yet again Halifax have chopped saving rates.
    Although the account still pays well above BofE rate. Show me a provider who hasn't reduced a rate in the last year.

It's still a decent paying account. You may be able to find marginally higher out there with instant access. Try https://www.theaa.com/savings.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    opinions4u wrote: »
    You may be able to find marginally higher out there with instant access. Try www.theaa.com/savings.
    The only problem with that one is 2.3% of the interest is in the form of a bonus that expires after a year, so you will need to move it after that.
    2010 Posts: 5,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The Halifax has constantly and consistently chopped rates for the past 9 months more so than other providers.

I used to have about six accounts with them until recently and because of their hacking of rates,I`m down to just a current reward account.

We all know that the BoE .5% is an artificial rate anyway.

Vote with your feet and move your dough.
  • arjar
    arjar Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've closed all my Halifax accounts - partly because of poor rates, but also as a protest to them removing information about the rate being payed from the account summary for online accounts. Vote with your feet!
  • Simon11
    Simon11 Posts: 751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm with you Arjar!

Once my fixed year isa comes up in a month, I'm moving my money to another place!

They're offering such low rates, and not knowing the interest rate really annoys me!
    "No likey no need to hit thanks button!":p
    However its always nice to be thanked if you feel mine and other people's posts here offer great advice:D So hit the button if you likey:rotfl:
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    arjar wrote: »
    I've closed all my Halifax accounts - partly because of poor rates, but also as a protest to them removing information about the rate being payed from the account summary for online accounts. Vote with your feet!

Whilst I don't like the fact that they've removed the interest rate information from internet banking, I am intrigued to know which bank you've found that does offer this? Very few do.

And as for low rates - this thread is about an account that pays up to 2.8%, with instant access. I don't know of any other equivalent account that's higher than this! So your argument seems to fall down quite spectacularly here.
  • mroller
    mroller Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Reaper wrote: »
    The only problem with that one is 2.3% of the interest is in the form of a bonus that expires after a year, so you will need to move it after that.

Really?
    I have gone through the details of the account and I see no mention of the bonus!
  • Sparky47
    Sparky47 Posts: 314 Forumite
    mroller wrote: »
    Really?
    I have gone through the details of the account and I see no mention of the bonus!

I think Reaper is referring to the AA account that Opions4u mentioned.
    That pays 2.8% of which 2.3% is a 12month bonus.
    2010 Posts: 5,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    More crap cuts from the hali:

Halifax

FIXED RATE ISA SAVER reduced by 0.25% w.e.f. 30.4.10.
    1 Year: 2.25%.
    2 Year: 3.25%.
    3 Year: 3.50%.
    4 Year: 4.00%.
    All other terms and conditions remain unchanged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure