Bathroom installation

I have had a quote from builder and plumber for installing a new bathroom suite in an empty bathroom (old suite removed, bare walls, just a toilet bowl in there). I have 2 prices, one for the builder-type work, one for the plumbing. I will supply the suite, taps, tiles, and adhesive. This is in Cambridge.

Builder: 750-900 + 150 for materials
1) Dot & dab / skim 2m x 2m wall
2) Make good and skim 2m x 2.5m wall
3) Overboard and skim ceiling
4) Box in pipes
5) Knock through hole for ventilation
6) 8m2 of wall tiling
7) 2.5m2 of floor tiling
8) Possibly building a little cupboard if time allows (ie not go into another day's work)

Plumber: 800 + VAT
1) New install bath, shower fixing, sink, toilet (no existing pipework available)

Does this sound about right? I have used the builder and plumber before - I was expecting about that for the building work, but the plumbing sounds a bit on the high side, particularly since the ceiling in the room below is down at the moment so it's easier access for pipework...

Comments

• andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Builders quote seems a little low for a good finished job, Materials of just £150 is very low,I would also let the proffesional supply the adhesives ect so it can be specced correctly for the job
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • TaraBT
    TaraBT Posts: 17 Forumite
    Not terribly worried about the builder's materials cost as have used them before and am charged at cost from local suppliers. It's more the plumber's rate I'd like a better idea on... I think he mostly does heating installations so am wondering if it's his daily rate which is bumping up the price somewhat...
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If new pipe runs are needed it could be 2 possibly 3 days work , So say £400-£600 Labour + Materials

22mm copper is now £4 per metre so material costs will be high
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • TaraBT
    OK - the main hot and cold pipes are running down the wall and under the floor so need to be spurred off and there are pipes prepared for the shower which need to be extended from the loft... But I guess what I'm picking up is that you would estimate about 200 per day + materials. I'll ask how many days work the quote's for...

Thanks.
  • TaraBT
    So I got another quote and he says £715 (no VAT required) to do the job. Perhaps I'm being unrealistic as I still think this is quite high since there's nothing in the bathroom & existing hot & cold supplies run under the bathroom floorboards already. The only thing which I could see as time-consuming is cutting back the iron soil pipe to fit the new toilet.

Am I expecting too much?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport