We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

I need to face up to my endowment!

Options
I have a 25 year with-profits L & G policy. I have been undecided as to what to do with it for some time. I have been unable to get any company to even offer to buy it off me.

However, it is projected to have a massive shortfall, and I have already converted the difference to a repayment mortgage. Now I'm wondering whether to make it paid up and pay the premium into my mortgage account instead. I understand that the life cover will continue to operate. Am I correct, or does this change from company to company? We are both healthy (touch wood!) and getting extra life cover would not be too difficult, if needed.

So many questions, sorry. Any advice will be greatly received, as I am completely stumped. Do I keep it, surrender it or make it paid up?

Here are the figures: Premium £125.25 monthly , maturity June 2020, basic sum assured and annual bonuses £37,663, life cover £86,191, surrender value £9931.

If I keep the policy running -projections are £60,000 @ 6%, and £47,700 @ 4% .

Paid up £12,137. Paid up forecast £25,500 @6%, £19424 @4%.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    However, it is projected to have a massive shortfall, and I have already converted the difference to a repayment mortgage. Now I'm wondering whether to make it paid up and pay the premium into my mortgage account instead. I understand that the life cover will continue to operate.

Incorrect. MOST companies will cease the life cover when you make the plan paid up.

With a with profits endowment, the provider is not allowed to include any terminal bonus in the forecast. So the 4,6,8% projections are based solely on annual/reversionary bonuses. With Legal and General's financial strength you are in one of better with profits companies. You could assume 6% to be reasonable for them over the long term (and you still have 16 years). You would like to think that they will be able to add in some terminal bonus over those years too.

Making the plan paid up will cost you £35,526 (37,663 minus £12,137). Thats a lot of money to lose.

So, the target is £86,191. I personally would look at the 6% figure of £60k and convert the difference to repayment mortgage and keep the endowment running. Any terminal bonus could then be extra or be used if it doesnt make 6% over the term. Of course, you would monitor it every few years to make sure.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport