Holiday insurance refusal of claim!

Hi all - my friends have just come back from Ski-ing in Austria and on day 1 - my friend's fellow stupidly left their rucksack on the ski-lift.

They went to the lift operator and asked if they could go back up but because it was the last run of the day he said they couldnt go back up - but someone would collect it at the top and they could pick it up the next morning.

They had ALL their money in it about 500 euros, the usual, hotel keys, camera, etc etc,

They went back the next day and surprise surprise - no rucksack.

They went to the police and they said there was nothing they could do about it!!! (well there wasnt really to be fair!)

The hotel charged them 100 euros for the loss of the room key !!!!!!!!

They called the insurance comapny this morning (sorry I don't know which one!) he did tell me but it wasn't one of the main ones - and they were told that they had no claim!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this correct? surely this is one of the reasons why we take out insurance?

Thanks for advice!
Total Quidco earnings - £547.98

Everyone is scared of someone or something, everyone loves someone or something, and everyone has lost someone or something! BE NICE!

Comments

• corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    As the loss was due to negligence they probably have a clause for this.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    corbyboy wrote: »
    As the loss was due to negligence they probably have a clause for this.

Most claims are caused by negligence and as such negligence is generally covered, what is not generally covered is acting Recklessly.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you can find out which Insurer it is we can have a look at the actual policy wording for you.

If they get the claim agreed by the Travel Insurers it is likely there will b a fairly low limit on the cash and it is unlikely to cover the room key.

Another option is to contact their home insurers as there may be cover on there and if there is the limits are generally higher.
  • far2812
    far2812 Posts: 919 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Oh ok - I didn't know all this. I did think that about the cash - even I questioned why he had taken ALL the money out with them and he said that the safe in the room was 75 euros for a week!!

I will find out tomorrow what insurers they use! It just makes me want to re-read my yearly policy to make sure I am covered for all sorts of situations!

I just feel really sorry for them! They saved for this holiday for ages!
    Total Quidco earnings - £547.98

Everyone is scared of someone or something, everyone loves someone or something, and everyone has lost someone or something! BE NICE!
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Did he report it formally with the local police? An insurer will need to have a copy of the report with a crime number.

I don't know why they wouldn't allow this claim if he has evidence to support it (and maybe a signed report from the lift attendant that it had been reported at the time). There may be a clause about carrying large amounts of cash around though.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport