Refurbished Alloys? powder coating...

Options
Recently I had a flat tyre, managed to get to Kwik Fit only to be told that my alloy was corroded inside and that my tyre was fine...the mechanic recommended getting my wheel powder coated...

Has anyone had this done? is it recommended for longevity? Or is it worth shelling out for a new set of wheels/tyres? My MOT is due in August anyway and will probably need at least 2 new tyres...

its a saab 9-5 by the way...

Comments

• waynedance
    waynedance Posts: 673 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They should have removed the loose paint with a wire brush attachment on a drill, this is what we would have done and then applied some bead sealer.
    Google gives you answers use it.........
  • Brian_The_Lion
    Options
    waynedance wrote: »
    They should have removed the loose paint with a wire brush attachment on a drill, this is what we would have done and then applied some bead sealer.

the lad did spend a few mins doing something with a wire brush, he said he was cleaning the wheel up for me... I assume he was doing what you said above?

He then said it would only last for a few weeks or so? is this correct? this is when he went on to talk about powder coating, etc.....
  • skiddlydiddly
    skiddlydiddly Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    Options
    Are they powder coated already?If not I wouldn't bother unless you really like the look as it can chip off and looks terrible, don't think it can be patched up either.
    Maybe he meant just getting it refurbed?
  • Brian_The_Lion
    Options
    Are they powder coated already?If not I wouldn't bother unless you really like the look as it can chip off and looks terrible, don't think it can be patched up either.
    Maybe he meant just getting it refurbed?

Do you reckon that once your wheels start going then its best to replace them entirely?

Any ideas how long this Bead sealer is meant to last?
  • waynedance
    waynedance Posts: 673 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work at a garage and use the sealer loads and never had any comeback, should last ages.
    Google gives you answers use it.........
  • skiddlydiddly
    skiddlydiddly Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    Options
    You can get alloy refurbished to look as good as new for about £50 a wheel last time I looked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure