May 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 April 2010 at 5:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
812 replies 65.5K views

Replies

• knitwit67knitwit67 Forumite
    213 Posts
    Hi, can I join for next June please. I have been playing along on the QT, just in case I messed up. For May I tested out £250 and have only spent £224.74 :T. Thank you to everyone I have been learning loads so I feel confident in lowering it next month. I have an all inclusive holiday:j, so that will be a no spend week. And when we get back we will need to diet anyway so smaller portions. I'm going for £150.00 to cover 3 weeks. This is for me , DH (have'nt worked out what OH is , is it orrible husband:rotfl:) FULL TIME ,DS (17), DSD (9) VISITS. I would be interested how much other people in simular situation spend, so I have a lower goal to work to. I have reduced the washing liquide by 3/4 in the washing machine, so will not need to buy any next month, works just the same. Also bought a whole salmon from Mr T reduced from £17.66 to £12.36. Thought it would be good for a BBQ party then loads of leftovers for the rest of the week. I think DH was right and I should have cut it up before putting it in the freezer, I had to curl it round to fit it in, it's even going to be too long for the BBQ, oops! Anyone got any advice about huge impulse buy's:rotfl:
    Sew it, knit it, glue it, reuse it , don't buy it
  • sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    so embarrassed declaring at £410:eek:
    dont know what happened I think there must have been an extra 2 weeks in that month on top of the 4 i had allowed for :o

will definitely try harder next month
  • piperskypipersky Forumite
    954 Posts
    Hello everyone :wave:

Another NSD yesterday (I only count NSDs when I spend no money on Grocery Shopping - muct check out the NSD threads though :o) but will have to spend some more today as we have run out of milk and fruit. Still, I am happy with the small overspend this month.

Everyone has done a great job this month - thanks for all the support... Was going to lower the budget for June, however I may be moving house so I think I'll stick with £200 for June (thanks MrsM) and keep my fingers crossed :D:eek::cool:

ETA: Will declare my final total on Tuesday... :)
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • greentgreent Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a jar of (just) OOD apricot jam in my fridge (bought for Xmas cake - \I always do a fruit top, not icing)

\We're not fond of it on toast etc so I thought I could use it up in microwave jam pudding - you know, shove the jam and the sponge mix into a bowl and nuke it..... except I can't find a recipe for one - I have been searching the forums, but no luck.....:o

I've seen them mentioned on the GC before, so am hoping one of you will be able to help :) I don't want to just try a 'normal' sponge cake mix, just in case

Thanks!!:D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2022: £12.16
  • mama67mama67 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    MrsBsBlog wrote: »
    Good morning all.
    Just popping in to update siggy and my spends for this month.
    Well i`ve come in at £381.04:j:j:j for this month, so under budget, but a few things will carry over to next month, i`m hoping:D. We will see as it`s half term next week and as we all know the kids always have bottomless bellies, during this time.

Please MRSM could you put me down for £400 once again for June.

I`m trying my best to reduce this further, but I think i`m struggling for some reason. I write everything down, have a meal plan, cook almost everything from scratch, but doesn`t seem to work. The kids are constantly hungry, although they both have big adult size meals and snack on fruit and have sandwiches, cerals(fillers like porridge) etc in between meals. It`s not working, if anybody is in the same situation as me with 2 growing angels, could you let me know your secret, as I am pulling my hair out how to fill them up. i know next week will be one contant stream of mum i`m hungry.

Catch you all later.

I have this same problem, the boys (15 & 11) have breakfast either a school lunch or when at home a packed type lunch, they then have a substantial snack around 4pm (on school days a packup), and then we eat dinner at 6.30pm; they will then have a dessert and maybe even more bread and butter and fruit before bed.
    The main thing I do is make our bread, it is more filling and bake muffins which seem more filling than normal cake, and they often have a banana smoothie with these. I think it is just part of boys especially growing and being active.

hth
    2 adults, 2 boys (:footie: sports mad big eaters) (25 & 22)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • mama67mama67 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    greent wrote: »
    I've got a jar of (just) OOD apricot jam in my fridge (bought for Xmas cake - \I always do a fruit top, not icing)

\We're not fond of it on toast etc so I thought I could use it up in microwave jam pudding - you know, shove the jam and the sponge mix into a bowl and nuke it..... except I can't find a recipe for one - I have been searching the forums, but no luck.....:o

I've seen them mentioned on the GC before, so am hoping one of you will be able to help :) I don't want to just try a 'normal' sponge cake mix, just in case

Thanks!!:D

Just do the basic sponge mix, weigh your 2 eggs, then have equivalent weights of butter, sugar and sr flour mix all together put on top of jam in microwavable bowl cook on high for 3 mins (1 egg) 5 mins (2 eggs) check for doneness with sharp knife.

I do the 2 egg mix for the 4 of us for a pudding and we have this with cheap tinned custard.

hth
    2 adults, 2 boys (:footie: sports mad big eaters) (25 & 22)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Spent £28 on all my bits and bobs so that is all my shopping done for the month. No more spending allowed! Just found a tin of condensed milk in the cupboard so going to make a poor mans banoffee pie!

Have a good day all :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • NJW69NJW69 Forumite
    841 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I has some shopping delivered from ASDA earlier in the week as they sent me a code for free delivery. Had to spend over £50 but I bought some FCUK aftershave and some CK perfume for two birthdays I have coming up so my actual grocery spend were £23 and then I sent to Farmfoods for their 2 x four pints of milk for £1.50 and two large Hovis loaves for £1.00. Also got some Robinsons R and some bannanas so spent £7 so I've added the £30 to my signature and I'm just about on target for the month.

My month runs as the calender so I'm still officially in month but I've got bread and milk and loads of everything else so I won't need to spend anymore now. So I'll declare for May at £199.61/£200 and please can I be put down at £200 again for June as this seems to be where I can manage okay.

Amazing really when I consider what I used to spend without thinking. I can afford to spend far more but that would just be wasteful and I can spend the difference on whatever I choose instead or save it.

Hope everyone has a lovely Bank Holiday weekend.:beer:
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • KadeeaeKadeeae Forumite
    652 Posts
    Agghh....need updating!!

Please put me down for £275 for June, Ta!
  • skillyskilly Forumite
    904 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,small spend today at mr t £30.04.only got £2.78 to last until monday!!!!.can i please be put down for june £300.
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue :staradmin
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

For over 45 shows in January and February

MSE Deal

Join the 1p Savings Challenge 2022!

It should help you save £667.95

MSE Forum