We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Anyone Using Rockdust?

I read an article in the past week's Sunday Post that was praising the use of Rockdust on veg patches - apparently the addition of this powder leads to vigourous growth and is very easy to source and apply.

Has anyone used this in the past and has it made a difference to the produce?

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi

A number of us clubbed together and bought a bag each last year, because one person had used it and was singing its praises.

Now I cannot be absolutely sure because last year was so bizarre weather wise but my onions were twice the diameter I normally got; the vines that had been struggling for two years head up and off the end of 8 foot canes, one of the fruit trees I only grafted last year has multiple flower heads this year and they were all 2 or three times as tall as the ones grafted by someone much more experienced. My tatties were very successful but that may have been the rain.

Other report similiar success.

I am now sprinkling a very small hand full in the bottom of every trench when I plant seeds or mixing with a small amount of compst and adding a little bit to the botom of transplant holes.

Will be dosing my fruit bushes this next weekend
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • That sounds very positive - is this easily available in garden centres or in the likes of Homebase could you tell me?

Thanks very much :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I used it beginning of last season on my allotment (two bags to a 300sq yards) It went in conjunction with a no dig trial I am doing.
    It's hard to say definitively but I felt it worthwhile enough to get two more bags this year for our other plot. On the odd occasion I have put a fork in the ground it has been teeming with worms.

I have applied very little manure, just to brassicas really. Overall the crops have been good, but obviously shortage in feeding may not show up in the space of one year. No mildew on late peas for the first time ever though.

One of my reasons for doing this was mineral deficiency - the land has been an allotment for over 50 years, on a slope, has been flooded in summer downpours. So what it may have had could easily have been wrung out. I know from my apple trees that magnesium runs out about five years after planting it - it shows up as bitter pit.

I ought to have covered one half so I could test it out, so I cannot give you an unqualified yes. It would be interesting to see if there any more responses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure