1.9K Posts
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"MSE leaders' debate: What will the SNP do for your wallet? ..."

Replies

• keet83keet83 Forumite
    226 Posts
    what alex salmond doesn't realise is that this is a 'GENERAL ELECTION' not a local election. we want to know what you'd do for the UK as a whole, not just scotland. He keeps saying he'll do this and that yet never tells us how; if you cut off profit from one place it means you need to make it back from somewhere else.
    I've lived in Glasgow for 4 years and he's done nothing except cut funding money for new schools, new houses and new investment as a whole. He gave both Edinburgh and Aberdeen extra 'bonus' funding due to them being popular cities, yet Glasgow has the highest population in Scotland and brings in a vast amount of tourists from around the world.

SNP is a waste of time and a waste of space!
    [STRIKE]Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can![/STRIKE]
    That used to be the case :mad:
  • keet83 wrote: »
    what alex salmond doesn't realise is that this is a 'GENERAL ELECTION' not a local election. we want to know what you'd do for the UK as a whole, not just scotland. He keeps saying he'll do this and that yet never tells us how; if you cut off profit from one place it means you need to make it back from somewhere else.
    I've lived in Glasgow for 4 years and he's done nothing except cut funding money for new schools, new houses and new investment as a whole. He gave both Edinburgh and Aberdeen extra 'bonus' funding due to them being popular cities, yet Glasgow has the highest population in Scotland and brings in a vast amount of tourists from around the world.

SNP is a waste of time and a waste of space!

I agree entirely... Im an englishman living in scotland and think both the SNP and the scottish parliament should be abolished. Some of the birdbrained ideas Salmond has come out with in his manifesto are quite silly... such as basing scottish armed services personnel in scotland, etc... Im all for national defence but this is a bit too far... what about all the people that sign up for the life experience they get from being away from home, etc...

Also, one of his main points is protecting the scottish economy, etc... but what he fails to realise is that scotland cant rely on "scottish" companies to keep the country afloat... most of the main employers here are global organisations, not local ones... the sooner scotland and the SNP supporters realise that were all part of the UNITED KINGDOM the better...

I dont see what benefits there are in independence at all.. the country and population are simply not large enough to justify wanting to be separate...
  • Old_WrinklyOld_Wrinkly Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    So would you just abolish Scotland completely?
    How about re-naming it North Britain ....
  • So would you just abolish Scotland completely?
    How about re-naming it North Britain ....

I think you'll find that I said "both the SNP and the scottish parliament should be abolished"

Theres nothing wrong with Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, England, etc.. but how can we have a proper union if certain members of it are wanting things for selfish reasons.

There should be only one parliament with equal representation from all members, with the sole aim of the good of the whole union...
  • jambosansjambosans Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    the sooner scotland and the SNP supporters realise that were all part of the UNITED KINGDOM the better...

I'm sure the majority of Scots are aware Scotland is a part of the United Kingdom. Remember the SNP are a minority government, and as nationalists, they are also fully aware Scotland is a part of the United Kingdom (they're just not too happy about it :o).
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm reasonably happy with the Scottish Parliament as most Scots seem to be.
    I don't see it going anyway soon, if anything it will get more power - likely full control of Scottish affairs in a federal setup or independence.

I don't see any problem with getting rid of ID cards and Trident like the SNP propose, they would be good for the rest of the UK too.

I think Westminster is rotten to the core...
    I agree entirely... Im an englishman living in scotland and think both the SNP and the scottish parliament should be abolished. Some of the birdbrained ideas Salmond has come out with in his manifesto are quite silly... such as basing scottish armed services personnel in scotland, etc... Im all for national defence but this is a bit too far... what about all the people that sign up for the life experience they get from being away from home, etc...

Also, one of his main points is protecting the scottish economy, etc... but what he fails to realise is that scotland cant rely on "scottish" companies to keep the country afloat... most of the main employers here are global organisations, not local ones... the sooner scotland and the SNP supporters realise that were all part of the UNITED KINGDOM the better...

I dont see what benefits there are in independence at all.. the country and population are simply not large enough to justify wanting to be separate...
  • keet83keet83 Forumite
    226 Posts
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    I'm reasonably happy with the Scottish Parliament as most Scots seem to be.
    I don't see it going anyway soon, if anything it will get more power - likely full control of Scottish affairs in a federal setup or independence.

I don't see any problem with getting rid of ID cards and Trident like the SNP propose, they would be good for the rest of the UK too.

I think Westminster is rotten to the core...

Are you sure about this? Where's all this money coming from that Alex Salmond is spending? That's right the UK economy.

He complained because this year he's not getting as much as last year, however no-one is getting as much as last year.

Scotlands population is about 5 million which is the same as Yorkshire and will not survive if they give free uni, free medical, etc. There's nothing wrong with paying for your own fees. I pay for my own fees and it teaches me how to deal with debts rather than be in debt, (much learnt from this site). The tax payers are the ones that pay for the fees so once the students have graduated and got a job, their tax will be paying for the next generation. either way, they'll be paying for someone's tuition fee, so it's not very fair on the people that dont go to uni and straight into employment.

It's also not fair on people that keep healthy and fit to pay for other people's medication; yes there are certain circumstances within the medication such as long suffering diseases such as epilepsy, cancer, asthma etc.

I know many scots that voted for the SNP in the last scottish election, however they've realised what a waste of space it is and have regretted it and realised that full independence is not a good idea.

just under 10% of the British army are Scots, however that is about equal to the rest of britain because the population being 62 million means that approximately 8% are Scottish.

People should remember that the British Empire was huge and very dominant in the world until it began to break up; do we want the same to happen to the United Kingdom?
    [STRIKE]Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can![/STRIKE]
    That used to be the case :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals