A&L witholds info

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
10 replies 962 views
FUSSFUSS Forumite
9 Posts
i strongly believe A&L deliberately withheld details of a phone call i made at the start of this whole issue. I called them to stop a cheque and they stopped the wrong one and as a result i ended up with my first charges . I have always considered this the reason for my debt with them and a shock-wave to over bills. They claimed i gave them the wrong details and they had listened to the recording claiming this. But when i asked for a copy they stalled and ignored me. I am still asking for this recording but they simply ignore me. Is there anything i can do to insist on a copy as i strongly believe they have lied to me and as a result caused £1300 unfair charges. I must stress that unlike some i did not simply ignore my debts as i worked 6/7 days a week often 15 hrs a day just to keep up with the relentless charges they kept issuing. I ended up even having to take my daughter to work with me so i could work longer hours. This resulted in a severe spinal injury causing me to leave work and suffer for at least 2 years in severe pain and on medication whilst i waited for an operation.

Replies

• davidgmmafandavidgmmafan Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Well you could rely on the Data Protection act I would've thought. Hopefully people with more expertise will be along soon.

If they don't have the recording any longer it would appear a little convenient.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • natweststaffmembernatweststaffmember Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FUSS wrote: »
    i strongly believe A&L deliberately withheld details of a phone call i made at the start of this whole issue. I called them to stop a cheque and they stopped the wrong one and as a result i ended up with my first charges . I have always considered this the reason for my debt with them and a shock-wave to over bills. They claimed i gave them the wrong details and they had listened to the recording claiming this. But when i asked for a copy they stalled and ignored me. I am still asking for this recording but they simply ignore me. Is there anything i can do to insist on a copy as i strongly believe they have lied to me and as a result caused £1300 unfair charges. I must stress that unlike some i did not simply ignore my debts as i worked 6/7 days a week often 15 hrs a day just to keep up with the relentless charges they kept issuing. I ended up even having to take my daughter to work with me so i could work longer hours. This resulted in a severe spinal injury causing me to leave work and suffer for at least 2 years in severe pain and on medication whilst i waited for an operation.

When did the call actually take place since they may not actually have a copy of the call now? Can they provide a transcript of the call?
    What cheque did they cancel and was the cheque already cancelled? Did you take a name of the person concerned you spoke to?
    Why did your income drop(the cause of financial hardship if that is the route you go down)?
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • edited 28 April 2010 at 1:16PM
    FUSSFUSS Forumite
    9 Posts
    edited 28 April 2010 at 1:16PM
    The call was approx 3 years ago and they stalled for approx 6 months avoiding sending me the recording or transcript. The cheque was approx £170. The girl on the phone even spoke it back to me so i know i was in the right (stupidly never took her name) as i was taken over my o/d limit because they failed to stop the right one but still charged me a total of £70 for their mistake. As from that point they slammed approx £70 every week on me in charges so soon as i was paid they took it. This along with normal bills stopped me getting my head above water. In the end i damaged my spine due to work and had to quit work. I know it sounds like the standard moan and people may think i hid from it but the fact is i PAID them £1300 i don't owe them. A&L have attempted to stall every step of the way and consistently ignore any request from the proof call or the user id /debit card/phone service to access my account so i have very little control. I've done my homework on A&L and they have a reputation for this type of thing. I've now re contacted the Ombudsman to look into their dealings etc.. (i also lost my claim due to the supreme court and A&L stalling )........I need to add that this dispute is still going on today. apt they would refund approx£400 but im apt in the overdraft but god knows what i owe because i cant get past security. I've now offered 25p per month. I would have been happy to have walked away and they close the account but it would seem they have kept me in debt now and may well be charging me again (who knows?) i cannot gain accesses to the account as it is refereed as pending closure?. I have a folder of letters 2 and from where they claim this and that. But like all banks they have been very sly with what they release info wise......Thank you for the PDF by the way makes good reading
    12.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The call was approx 3 years ago and they stalled for approx 6 months avoiding sending me the recording or transcript. The cheque was approx £170. The girl on the phone even spoke it back to me so i know i was in the right (stupidly never took her name) as i was taken over my o/d limit because they failed to stop the right one but still charged me a total of £70 for their mistake. As from that point they slammed approx £70 every week on me in charges so soon as i was paid they took it. This along with normal bills stopped me getting my head above water. In the end i damaged my spine due to work and had to quit work. I know it sounds like the standard moan and people may think i hid from it but the fact is i PAID them £1300 i don't owe them. A&L have attempted to stall every step of the way and consistently ignore any request from the proof call or the user id /debit card/phone service to access my account so i have very little control. I've done my homework on A&L and they have a reputation for this type of thing. I've now re contacted the Ombudsman to look into their dealings etc.. (i also lost my claim due to the supreme court and A&L stalling how?)........I need to add that this dispute is still going on today. apt(what is APT--do you mean the word apt or not cos I don;t understand the whole sentence) they would refund approx£400 but im apt in the overdraft but god knows what i owe because i cant get past security. I've now offered 25p per month. I would have been happy to have walked away and they close the account but it would seem they have kept me in debt now and may well be charging me again (who knows?) i cannot gain accesses to the account as it is refereed as pending closure?. I have a folder of letters 2 and from where they claim this and that. But like all banks they have been very sly with what they release info wise......Thank you for the PDF by the way makes good reading

What did they do at the time with regards to the complaint?
    Why did they reject it even as a gesture of goodwill?
    have you done a subject access request for the complaint notes on your account so you can find out what they did to look into this?

• edited 28 April 2010 at 2:26PM
    FUSSFUSS Forumite
    9 Posts
    edited 28 April 2010 at 2:26PM
    At the time nothing but keep adding charges. I couldn't get through on the phone and they denied all guilt saying it was my fault not theirs. They claim to lave listened to the call (in fact 3 claimed) but strangely never managed to forward any proof to me. They didn't stop slamming 370 charges until i had paid £1300 in charges and was still approx £570 in debt. I stopped all dd and standing orders before this so all fees were completely from A&L. On looking at all my dealings i feel i may actually still have a £200+ debt with them. They only put a hold on my account at the point i mentioned the ombudsman.

As for the (subject access request) im sorry im a little lost there.
    I've written asking for the call...No help
    I've wrote requesting refunds ....No help
    I've done the Ombudsman bit...A&L stalled for the supreme court (put on hold)
    Then A&L offered £400(ish) ive no idea if that was honouredOmbudman backed out (supreme ruling)
    A&L have now lifted the hold and are demanding at the moment £130 for something and may well be increasing it

I'm a single self employed father (child lives with me)
    I live on just over £140 pwk

Bigger outgoings than £140 pwk

So they get 25p pcm (silly i know)
    In case people are wondering how i worked 15 hrs a day i was a chef..(now i can barely walk sometimes)

Sorry apt is meant to be apparently
    12.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aT THE TIME nothing
    Ask for the complaint notes on your account because it they did absolutely NOTHING at the time you complained then we might have a route of maladministration of the account.

• FUSSFUSS Forumite
    9 Posts
    I will do that
    Thank you very much for that......
  • I have every sympathy for you, I'm having similar problems with A&L, I have had business and personal bank accounts for decades and never have I come accross such bad business practice, their staff are rude, unhelpful and every time I speak to someone different I get a different story!
    FWIW I totally believe you're right...
    Waddle you do eh?
  • davidgmmafandavidgmmafan Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Did the Ombudsmen say anything about your contention that the bank had stopped the wrong cheque? I would've thought that, on the balance of probabilites, if someone is making this much fuss then they probably have a point.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • FUSSFUSS Forumite
    9 Posts
    I told the Ombudsman everything

By the way FUSS stands for family unit support site...Its a parent help site ive created.
    Just in case anyone feels the name fuss reflects my attitude etc.
    I've always felt it was a one sided dispute re A&L and feel they also withheld some info from the Ombudsman (but i cant prove it) . Ive now written to A&L again asking for further info about the stopped cheque transcript so lets see what happens from there hey.

Thanks for you comments....
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals