tax refunds.

Options
McKneff
McKneff Posts: 38,827 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
I have just heard from my grandson who works part time (25 or so hours)
in a restaurant.

He had a job last year and left, they did not give him a p45.

He started another job around October last year and they are taxing him on every penny of his wages. He couldnt give them a P45. I told him tonight that he should go in and ask to fill in a P46, (shouldnt they have offered him one when he started as he had no P45)

How long does it take to sort a code number out if he fills in this P46 tomorrow.

He earned far less than his allowance last year so should get all his tax back for then. But does he have to reclaim this himself from HMRC or will it come to him through payroll automatically along with what he is due since April 5th.
Thanks for any advice.
Annie
make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
and we will never, ever return.

Comments

• suso
    suso Posts: 548 Forumite
    Options
    This year is different from the last year.

On the P46 tell him to pick the declaration this this is his only job since April 2010, the employer should then put him on the standard code of 647L

Any tax overpaid from 6th April with be refunded in his wages once the code is being used.

For tax overpaid before the 5th April HMRC will need to get the P60 information and the P14 information from the previous employer.

Once all that information is on their system a refund will be generated.
    You could speed up the process by getting a statement of earnings from the previous employer, and the P60 from the current employer and send them into HMRC
    He's not an accountant - he's a charlatan
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what is taxcode now?
    what ws his tax code before april?
  • McKneff
    Options
    Sorry, i didnt ask.
  • McKneff
    Options
    Suso, once he fills in the p46 does the employer apply the code straightaway or do they have to wait for a reply from the HMRC giving them the code.

I am so angry, its his first catering job after college and they just dont seem to be doing anything about his tax, he has been with them since i think October last year, although contracted for 25 hours he has been working 50 hours some weeks and they are taxing him on it all.
  • McKneff
    Options
    apparently his code is BR
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Assuming he is still on code BR then get him to print off this P46 and hand it in to his employers asap.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

Make sure he ticks Box A - once that is handed in his employer should operate code 647L on a cumulative basis. This will mean that if he has already been paid for April using BR he will get an automatic refund next month.

As to last year once he has his P60 he should apply for a refund. Why did he not get a P45 from his previous employer - he was entitled to one.
  • McKneff
    Options
    Thanks for that jem 16, i didnt know anything about this till last night so i
    have no idea about it all except what I've said here. He only stayed at his last job a couple of weeks as he was straight out of full time college but at 17 they were making him work 65 hours (in a very busy restarant kitchen) a week and he couldnt cope with it. It really did make him ill. I will pass on the link. Brilliant, (you and the site)
    thanks.
    Annie
  • Nosht
    Nosht Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    Not all employers (especially catering trade) put their employees through the books or pay tax & N.I. on time, if ever.

N.
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
  • McKneff
    Options
    Nosht wrote: »
    Not all employers (especially catering trade) put their employees through the books or pay tax & N.I. on time, if ever.

N.

He works for Pitcher and Piano so i would have thought a national chain would be on the ball to be honest.
  • Danzo_2
    Danzo_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I have just waited 10 minutes on the phone to the tax office before finally getting through. I told the women that I am due a rebate and passed on all the information she asked for from my p60 which I now have in my hand. she then tells me it looks like I am due a rebate but they cant do anything until they recieve my p60 from my employer so ring back in a few weeks!!!

Basically this is my situation.

NIC table letter = A
    Earnings at lower earnings limit = 4180
    Earnings above lower earnings limit = 660
    Earnings above the earnings threshold = 3343
    Employers Contributions due on all earnings = 367.76
    Total pay for year = 8183.35
    Tax deducted = 1636.60
    Tax Code = BR

What shall I do now? shall I send them a copy of my p60 or fill any other forms to speed up the process?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure