'Should we starve the jobless back to work?' poll discussion

Options

Comments

• BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    scchin wrote: »
    ....why are they jobless? Are they ill? that's a different matter, but quite a few I've seen are totally capable to working, they just choose not to!
    Small businesses gone bust. Big businesses gone bust. Firms relocating to 100s if not 1000s of miles away. Down-sizing. Crooked directors at the top. Mechanisation. Automation. Re-structuring...shall I go on?
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• hjm80
    hjm80 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    As someone currently in receipt of jobseekers' allowance who struggles to find the money to eat, let alone have any luxuries (I am a teetotal, non smoker who hates fast food by the way), please do not tar us all with the same brush.

I have been applying for anything and everything I can to get some self respect back as I hate walking down the street knowing that every working person I pass is paying for me.

There are not many jobs available in my region, and so I am looking as far as the next big city althoughI admit that in order to work there, I could not accept a minimum wage job as it would cost about £30 a day to commute.

However, I know someone who has been unemployed for 9 years and is proud of it; she does nothing to find work and has turned down jobs the jobcentre has offered her and to be honest I think her benefits should be stopped.

In answer to your question:
    My rent of a single room in a shared flat is £52.50 a week.
    I receive £50.95 a week JSA and it's not enough.

I'd say £150 (to include rent) would be more manageable.

The fact that the poor are marginalised and penalised by being forced to use meters for utilities pushes the cost of living still further upwards...

Well said!!! :)

I like you have found myself unemployed through no fault of my own - as the company that I last worked for went into administration in February.

Since February I have applied for on average 50+ jobs a week and have had hardly any interviews. I have attended job serch training that advise on cv writing, searching for jobs and interview skills - but still I am unemployed!!

I don't think most people understand how disheartening it is to be in this situation, for the ones that do want to work and have a better life. The money you receive on benefits is awful and I struggle to get by each day it should be increased for those that prove without any question of a doubt that they are actively seeking work.

Yes I do agree that there are some people out there that don't want to work and for these people they should have to work for there benefits and also be watched applying for jobs.

I myself would quite happily work to earn the benefits that I currently claim as the longer you are not working the harder it can be to interact in the workplace and your confidence takes a nosedive!! But the balance needs to be right as you still need the time to apply for better paid jobs.

Don't always be so hard to those that are on benefits because some people are legimately there through no fault of their own and so desperately want to work!!!
  • glossyhair
    glossyhair Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I voted for £100/week, as that covers rent, food, utilities etc - what I would consider the basics - thereby allowing people to survive but at the same time encouraging them to work.

My rent is £105 per week and council tax £20 per week so how would that work?!!

Welcome to the REAL world of living on benefits :eek::eek::eek:
    mmmm, still seeking something witty to be my auto-signature . . . so this will have to suffice for now ;)
  • glossyhair
    glossyhair Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jamespir wrote: »
    im shocked at the 2000 odd people who said they should live on nothing lets hope none of you find yourselves unemployed

Oh really? I hope that they ALL find themselves unemployed. They can then live by eating their words 'cause they can't afford food :eek::eek:
    mmmm, still seeking something witty to be my auto-signature . . . so this will have to suffice for now ;)
  • jaynestiles
    Options
    Mum_of_3 wrote: »
    I replied £10,000 pa, this works out less than working full-time on National Minimum wages. Out of that I would make them pay for everything themselves, rent, dentistry, opticians etc.

I believe that you should get more for working full-time on a National Minimum Wage job than you should get in benefits.

I would raise the £10k to say £12.5k if you have children, but that's it. Again, what's the point in going out to work at a McJob if you can stay at home, have another kid and get paid money for it.

I know that those getting huge houses paid for by LHA and those receiving £40k on benefits are the minority, but even if it is it really shouldn't happen.

All the time benefits pay more than NMW people how can't be bothered to work won't and those that want to but are trapped due to the loss of money will take the hard decision to stay on the dole.

As for those saying "Where are the jobs?" if the government had to pay less in benefits, maybe they could make jobs by repairing roads, building new schools etc.

M_o_3

I totally agree with making them pay rent, dentistry, opticians etc. My husband has had 6 heart attacks and is diabetic plus other ailments and would be unable to work at all due to no fault of his own, he gets incapacity but none of the extras someone on jobseekers gets, where is the fairness in that.

Also I think benefits should be capped no matter how many children you have so those who decide on lots of children so they can get more money and not have to work would have to re-think their plans. We could all be irresponsible and have lots of children, some of us choose not to because we can't afford to.

I also found out the other day that people who live in this country can claim benefits. This should be changed to people who are british nationals and who have paid into the tax / NI system for a set number of years.
  • griff2010
    griff2010 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    What do these 2000 odd people think would happen if people who didn't have a job got no money? Do they think people are going to starve while rich flash people go about in there fancy cars? Oh no people would turn to crime to survive and I think very much that those people with money would have to be very careful to as they would become prime targets for the people with no money. So be careful what you wish for to those 2000 people and like others have said I hope you don't find yourselves on the dole someday and see how hard it really is :mad:
  • gcl999
    gcl999 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2010 at 7:29PM
    Options
    The problem with the question is the assumption of rent of £50. I live alone in a one bedroom council flat and because of the area I live in my rent is £78 and my council tax is £25. As I'm currently on ESA (not JSA!!) I get £64.30 and after bills (TV,Gas,Elec etc) , cabs to hospital 3 times a week (DWP don't recognise my condition in adults so will only pay bus fare), and my child maintenance I'm left with £4 a week for food. In my situation benefits would need to be at least £200 a week.
  • jokerjasper
    Options
    I dont think anybody has a "right" to state benefit except physically or mentally disabled people who literally are unable to work. There are jobs out there but the benefit system pays better money! If all benefits stopped then those that say they cant find a job...would.
  • alan8253
    alan8253 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    What did I pay all that national insurance for then?
  • cazrobinson
    cazrobinson Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    that when I was unemployed I got benefits for myself, my three children (under 10) and my house-husband. Because I was so ashamed that I had lost my job (worked since I was 13), and felt terrible that my family would have to suffer.

Just because your unemployed doesn't mean your a lazy blood-sucker!

I now have a new job, but with much lower pay... but at least I can provide for my family.

I feel sorry for those on long-term unemployment. Savings get eaten away, benefits start to dwindle and family/friends haven't got enough to help you out - what do you do?!? How can you survive and not get deep into debt?

I said £150 a week, by the way.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills