How to cancel a gym membership

Options

Comments

• Babybotch
    Options
    Has anyone got an experience with The Greens???
    I took out a membership this April, but for unforeseen circumstances have had to move 24 miles away back with my parents and without a car.

My friend was told by the same gym last week if she moved 10 miles away they would be able to cancel the membership straight away. So I told them how far away I moved and they have now come back saying you have to be over 30 miles away.

Also they terms and conditions they gave me are on half an A4 piece of paper, and don't go into too much detail.

I was wondering if anyone has the full terms and conditions from The Greens gym or know anything about this clause?
  • JonSpittle
    Options
    Hi All,

I wondered if someone could help me with my predicament.

I joined Fitness First in Jan 2010 with a 1 year contract, I then tore my Anterior cruciate ligament whilst playing football in June 2010, so I was unable to attend the gym due to not being able to walk well!

I contacted FF who agreed to put freeze my account for several months whilst I overcome my injury, though I knew I needed an Operation to rectify it.
    In Feb 2011 I had an Op on my knee during this period I was off work for 6 weeks, I was contacted my FF to say that they could only freeze my account for a few more months at the longest, they un-freezed it in about May.

I then made a couple more payments, I did attend the gym a couple of times to help with the recovery of my knee, I then wanted to cancel my membership but was told that the last months payment would be September, so I rang up at end of August to let them know but was told that I had to pay another month.
    I bit angry on the phone I told them that I had fulfilled my 12 months and was paying no more, I know I was injured but that wasn't my fault, I had tried to cancel several times before with FF but was told throughout this year I had to wait until I completed 12 payments :mad:

I then received a letter from a company called C.A.R.S who we're collecting an amount of £49.96 on behalf of FF.
    I rang them up, short version I explained to them what happened 3 times and on the third time a guy said that after a period of 3 months if I could not attend the gym due to medical reasons and if I could prove it, ie with a medical note, then they could get it cancelled. This made me rather angry that FF didn't just do this in the first place, rather than freeze the account for almost a year!

So I sent off copies of my medical notes to say that I had an operation etc about 4 weeks ago and this morning I've just received a call from C.A.R.S to say that FF are chasing the debt due to cancelling early and I had to pay it!
    I tried explaining but the lady was rather rude so I hung up :(

So do I have rights to cancel the membership due to Medical reasons or do I have to pay this £49.96? I was told originally that I had to pay £25 which is 1 months notice but since its doubled, I'm assuming due to fees etc.

Please help! :(
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JonSpittle wrote: »
    Hi All,

I wondered if someone could help me with my predicament.

I joined Fitness First in Jan 2010 with a 1 year contract, I then tore my Anterior cruciate ligament whilst playing football in June 2010, so I was unable to attend the gym due to not being able to walk well!

I contacted FF who agreed to put freeze my account for several months whilst I overcome my injury, though I knew I needed an Operation to rectify it.
    In Feb 2011 I had an Op on my knee during this period I was off work for 6 weeks, I was contacted my FF to say that they could only freeze my account for a few more months at the longest, they un-freezed it in about May.

I then made a couple more payments, I did attend the gym a couple of times to help with the recovery of my knee, I then wanted to cancel my membership but was told that the last months payment would be September, so I rang up at end of August to let them know but was told that I had to pay another month.
    I bit angry on the phone I told them that I had fulfilled my 12 months and was paying no more, I know I was injured but that wasn't my fault, I had tried to cancel several times before with FF but was told throughout this year I had to wait until I completed 12 payments :mad:

I then received a letter from a company called C.A.R.S who we're collecting an amount of £49.96 on behalf of FF.
    I rang them up, short version I explained to them what happened 3 times and on the third time a guy said that after a period of 3 months if I could not attend the gym due to medical reasons and if I could prove it, ie with a medical note, then they could get it cancelled. This made me rather angry that FF didn't just do this in the first place, rather than freeze the account for almost a year!

So I sent off copies of my medical notes to say that I had an operation etc about 4 weeks ago and this morning I've just received a call from C.A.R.S to say that FF are chasing the debt due to cancelling early and I had to pay it!
    I tried explaining but the lady was rather rude so I hung up :(

So do I have rights to cancel the membership due to Medical reasons or do I have to pay this £49.96? I was told originally that I had to pay £25 which is 1 months notice but since its doubled, I'm assuming due to fees etc.

Please help! :(

Whilst medical reasons are a well know and justified issue to cancel your contract on, weather or not your gym allows you to do this would be in the contract you signed with them. Do you still have that copy?

If you do, great, it'll be in the small print and if you can get this to some sort of a lawyer or even the CAB who if they can't help should be able to shove you in the right direction.

Failing that and maybe another way around it, you could either visit or call up FF and ask them what the hell they are playing at- why they are going against the genuine medical reasons you have (and have proof of). Maybe explain its stressing you out, if you are still recovering making things feel harder and that you have a good mind to ask for compensation for the stress created.

I've never actually joined FF myself, tried them many times but never joined. I've heard their admin leaves a lot to be desired and its hard to end a contract even legally. If you can, see if you can get a to a law center or CAB office near where you live.
  • JonSpittle
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Whilst medical reasons are a well know and justified issue to cancel your contract on, weather or not your gym allows you to do this would be in the contract you signed with them. Do you still have that copy?

If you do, great, it'll be in the small print and if you can get this to some sort of a lawyer or even the CAB who if they can't help should be able to shove you in the right direction.

Failing that and maybe another way around it, you could either visit or call up FF and ask them what the hell they are playing at- why they are going against the genuine medical reasons you have (and have proof of). Maybe explain its stressing you out, if you are still recovering making things feel harder and that you have a good mind to ask for compensation for the stress created.

I've never actually joined FF myself, tried them many times but never joined. I've heard their admin leaves a lot to be desired and its hard to end a contract even legally. If you can, see if you can get a to a law center or CAB office near where you live.

I do have the copy of the contract, it states that I can terminate my contract early due to medical reasons, though I'm very frustrated that FF never allowed me to do this orginally!
    I will ring their HO tomorrow to see if they can do anything, otherwise I will go to the Financial Ombudsman Service I see what they can advise.

Appreciate your help :)
  • moneyclunk
    Options
    Hi all i'm new but have read the nightmares folks have had with fitness first. I have just gone over my 24 month contract and planning to cancel shortly and believe it or not i just found my contract copy and no reason why i should have any hassle but i will go into branch, demand a departure form and get names, then i will go to bank, cancel DD and ask if they will give proof of cancelling, after that it should be just that but after reading all these stories who knows? but will post again to let you know. Has anyone else had problems cancelling well after initial term?
  • bexter53
    Options
    I'm really wanting to leave FF but I don't think there is anything I can do as I'm not too ill to use the facilities. That is a legitimate reason so if you're sick, get a doctor's letter and cancel. You can view their Ts and Cs if you Google "Fitness First terms".

There is one other way but I don't have the courage (I'm not advocating this, it's just the devil on my shoulder talking!) - make them expel you! There is a rule in the Ts&Cs:
    We may terminate your membership with immediate effect if…
    3.9 …in our reasonable opinion, your behaviour and/or actions (eg, abusive or threatening behaviour, vandalism or illegal activity) damage the character and interests of any particular club.

So, that explains the poo that someone else saw in the gym - I'm guessing someone was trying to get themselves banned! :T
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bexter53 wrote: »
    I'm really wanting to leave FF but I don't think there is anything I can do as I'm not too ill to use the facilities. That is a legitimate reason so if you're sick, get a doctor's letter and cancel. You can view their Ts and Cs if you Google "Fitness First terms".

There is one other way but I don't have the courage (I'm not advocating this, it's just the devil on my shoulder talking!) - make them expel you! There is a rule in the Ts&Cs:
    We may terminate your membership with immediate effect if…
    3.9 …in our reasonable opinion, your behaviour and/or actions (eg, abusive or threatening behaviour, vandalism or illegal activity) damage the character and interests of any particular club.

So, that explains the poo that someone else saw in the gym - I'm guessing someone was trying to get themselves banned! :T
    That wont get you out of paying your fees (read the small print) your still liable for the fees if its your error for not being there- eg your actions. You'd still be liable for at least the rest of the contract if not repair or cleaning costs and potentially a criminal record depending on how far you took this.
  • mrs_incredible
    Options
    sorry another FF question ive only been a member of ff for a month and need to cancel as ive just lost my job and have to make cut backs somewhere will they allow me to do this ??
  • fawad10yaqin
    Options
    if you just cancel your direct debit and dont wright a lettler is that okay aswell.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you just cancel your direct debit and dont wright a lettler is that okay aswell.

Welcome! :) A gym membership is a legally binding contract, you will have debt collectors after you if you default. Read the terms and conditions carefully and cancel the membership properly. Sometimes you need to write to the club's membership manager, sometimes to head office, use recorded delivery and keep the receipt DO NOT hand the letter in at reception. Sometimes your cancellation notice needs to coincide with your payment dates so do not cancel your DD until you are certain the contract has been legally terminated. Change of financial circumstances will not get you out of a contract, a health problem with a letter from the doctor might or it might get you a few free months and your contract extended.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport