Moped/scooters - are the Chinese ones ok?

Options
hethmar
hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
Son, absolutely skint, learning to drive a car but at moment having to rely on lifts to and from work (country area with no public transport). Ive the feeling that the lifts from a work mate is becoming a bit tense as said workmate has to get up 20 minutes earlier to pick up son.

He has no licence as yet, but I wondered about a moped scooter for him. Ive looked in local papers/shop windows but it seems that are pretty expensive and as it will hopefully be only 6 months or so before he gets a car licence, I really dont want to spend out a fortune.

Ive seen these chinese moped/scooters (ebay has a large seller of them) and I wondered if they are reliable etc as they are so much cheaper than other models.

Anyone know/have experience please?

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello hethmar

I'll move your thread over to the 'Motoring & Public Transport' board, where it should get more views and responses.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • plane_boy2000
    plane_boy2000 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I wouldnt want to put my sone on a moped at all - the roads are dangerous places, and although he may be safe you cant mitigate for what some other idiot will do.

If you are looking at spending that money on a moped for him then why not spend it on an intensive driving course so he can get his licence quicker?

Also I would steer clear of chineese stuff at the moment - Auto express ran an article this week about how badly a chinese car performed in a basic safety test - didnt look good.
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Options
    Don't touch a 50cc moped if you live in a country area. They are OK if you live in a town/city where all the speed limits are 30mph, but as a moped is restricted to just 30mph that can become a real danger when you are out riding on faster country roads where other traffic may be going 70mph or even faster.

Having said that, check whether your local council runs a rural transport loan scheme. For an idea of what I mean see the moped section at the bottom of this page - http://www.somersetrcc.org.uk/rural%20transport.htm

Mike
  • halojones
    halojones Posts: 742 Forumite
    Options
    You get what you pay for with these kinds of scooter and they are really cheap.

If he is over 17 he can do a CBT and ride a 125 scooter, which would be fully automatic and easy to ride. The CBT will allow him to ride it for 2 years.

The 125 should keep up with the traffic nicely, but I would go for a non Chinese one if he wants it to last or be reliable
    Amazon Sellers Club Member Number 52 :p
    £2008 for 2008 Club Member Number 318 :cool:
    total YTD £75
    Good Luck Everyone ;)
    :beer:
  • halojones
    halojones Posts: 742 Forumite
    Options
    Having said that, check whether your local council runs a rural transport loan scheme. For an idea of what I mean see the moped section at the bottom of this page - http://www.somersetrcc.org.uk/rural%20transport.htm

Mike[/QUOTE]

They do this in Norfolk to, and you can get the CBT paid for too. There might be one in your area.
    Amazon Sellers Club Member Number 52 :p
    £2008 for 2008 Club Member Number 318 :cool:
    total YTD £75
    Good Luck Everyone ;)
    :beer:
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Very many thanks people. I certainly dont want son on a ped but if there is no other transport - then its that or no job.

We have looked into the loan scheme for young people in country areas. Norfolk do run the scheme but unfortunately there is something upwards of 6 months waiting list for peds.

Grateful for everyones in put - its a tough one. I have got him BSM car driving lessons as a pressie but he isnt going to learn too quickly as he has a prob with his dyslexia.

Thanks everyone.
  • firemanmike
    Options
    We've had a Jinlun Chinese scooter. If you are thinking about it, don't bother.
    From having to register it and assembling it, it has been a pain in the a***.
    It has been at the mechanics more than it has been on the road. That was once we found a mechanic who would touch it.
    It has caused no end of frustration in our family and a very dissappointed teenager.
    Spend a bit more money, buy one from a dealer and save yourself all the trouble that we had.
    Check out BBC Watchdog this week.
  • portchieboy
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO

They are absolute cxxp. My daughter bought a 49cc Chinese scooter. It lasted about a day over a year before it literally became uneconomic to repair, it couldn't make it up hills, it cost a fortune in repairs. Frankly, it was no better than a toy.

How the devil they can get a licence to sell in this country, I really do not know.

Sorry, but as a Dad, I would say NO NO NO NO.
    O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

(O would some power the gift to give us to see ourselves as others see us
    .)

Robert Burns
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    Options
    They are made of very cheap materials, washing up bowl plastic and mild steel that will rust instantly.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    spend the extra money, (600 for the bike, 200 for helmet, 100 for cbt, 200 for insurance, 15 for tax, 100 for clothing, 30 for lock) etc etc on lessons

if hes any good he can pass in a month if he wants too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport