New Central Heating quote - is this reasonable?

Options
Hi all,

I have been searching these forums for a while now and just about to purchase our first home and could really do with some advice. The house needs gutting out and the old central heating sytem needs to come out and be replaced with a new combi system.

We have had a few guys come round and recieved the following quote from one. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this and if you think its a reasonable price for the work included.

Many Thanks in advance.

PREPARATION

Drain down existing central heating system, disconnect existing boiler and associated flue.
Disconnect existing hot water cylinder, cut out and remove any redundant pipes.
Disconnect cold water storage tank; convert all cold water supplies to direct mains.
Disconnect existing radiators and redundant pipe work.

TO SUPPLY AND INSTALL

Valliant 831 or 837 eco-tec plus condensing combination boiler, position to be decided.

GAS SUPPLY

Install 22mm gas supply to boiler to obtain 20 Mbar working pressure, gas rate boiler and carry out soundness test at meter.
Leave new cooker supply.

FLUE

Install horizontal fan flue assembly to outside.

DOMESTIC HOT AND COLD WATER

From incoming mains supply run new cold supply to all appliances in kitchen, boiler and all appliances in bathroom.
From new boiler position run new hot water supply to all appliances in kitchen and bathroom.

ElECTRICAL INSTALLATION

Wire boiler into existing fuse spur.
Earth cross bond pipe-work under boiler

HEATING

From new boiler position run new 22mm & 15mm flow and return to the following radiators.

Lounge- 600 x 1400 DC
Kit/diner - 600 x 1300 DC x3
Hall - 600 x 1200 DP+
Study - 600 x 1300 DC
WC - 400 x 700 chrome towel rail

Bedroom1 600 x 700 DP+
Bedroom2 600 x 1300 DC
Bedroom3 600 x 1100 DC
Bedroom4 600 x 1200 DC
Bathroom 600 x 1500 chrome towel rail

CONTROLS

Supply and install thermostatic radiator valves to all radiators except hall.
Supply and install lock shield valves to all radiators.
Supply and install wireless room stat in hall.
Supply and install valliant built in 130 time switch.

CHEMICAL AND INHIBITOR REQUIREMENT

Manually hot flush system and boiler as per manufacterers specification.
Add Fernox inhibitor to system.

COMMISIONING

The system will be tested, and commissioned to boiler manufacteres instructions on completion of works.

WARRANTY

The installation will be installed to current Gas Safe register regulations, manufacteres specification and will be covered by a 2 year guarantee on parts and labour.

BUILDING WORKS

Make good to wall where old flue was removed

WASTE MATERIALS

Remove all redundant material from site.

TOTAL COST: £4950.00 PLUS VAT

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    expensive for oop north.
    probably cheap for west london.
    Get some gorm.
  • eshzaina
    eshzaina Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to mention I am in North London :)

And also this includes the supply of all materials and labour.

Thanks

Esh
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    eshzaina wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been searching these forums for a while now and just about to purchase our first home and could really do with some advice. The house needs gutting out and the old central heating sytem needs to come out and be replaced with a new combi system.

We have had a few guys come round and recieved the following quote from one. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this and if you think its a reasonable price for the work included.

Many Thanks in advance.

PREPARATION

Drain down existing central heating system, disconnect existing boiler and associated flue.
    Disconnect cold water storage tank; convert all cold water supplies to direct mains.

TO SUPPLY AND INSTALL

Valliant 831 or 837 eco-tec plus condensing combination boiler, position to be decided.

GAS SUPPLY

Install 22mm gas supply to boiler to obtain 20 Mbar working pressure, gas rate boiler and carry out soundness test at meter.
    Leave new cooker supply.

FLUE

From incoming mains supply run new cold supply to all appliances in kitchen, boiler and all appliances in bathroom.
    From new boiler position run new hot water supply to all appliances in kitchen and bathroom.

ElECTRICAL INSTALLATION

HEATING

From new boiler position run new 22mm & 15mm flow and return to the following radiators.

Lounge- 600 x 1400 DC
    Hall - 600 x 1200 DP+
    Study - 600 x 1300 DC

Bedroom1 600 x 700 DP+
    Bedroom2 600 x 1300 DC
    Bedroom3 600 x 1100 DC
    Bedroom4 600 x 1200 DC

CONTROLS

COMMISIONING

The system will be tested, and commissioned to boiler manufacteres instructions on completion of works.

WARRANTY

The installation will be installed to current Gas Safe register regulations, manufacteres specification and will be covered by a 2 year guarantee on parts and labour.

BUILDING WORKS

WASTE MATERIALS

Good evening: forget the Vaillant controls and go with a Honeywell CM 927 wireless programmable room stat. Vaillant recommends a scale inhibitor as you are in a hard water area. A magnetic filter i.e. Boiler Buddy or Spirovent is also a worthy addition....decent price for London. Compare each quote like for like.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    I am suspicious of the 22mm gas pipe, especially for the 837.

The quote says that the installation site has yet to be decided, so how can the installer know what size the gas pipe should be yet?
  • eshzaina
    eshzaina Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

We were originally thinking about moving the boiler to the garage which is attached to the side of the kitchen, but will just keep it boxed in a cirner of the kitchen.

I take it the honeywells are better quality than the valliants?
  • heating-eng
    Options
    eshzaina wrote: »
    Hi all,

Many Thanks in advance.

PREPARATION

TO SUPPLY AND INSTALL

GAS SUPPLY

Leave new cooker supply.

FLUE

ElECTRICAL INSTALLATION

HEATING

Lounge- 600 x 1400 DC
    Hall - 600 x 1200 DP+
    Study - 600 x 1300 DC

Bedroom1 600 x 700 DP+
    Bedroom2 600 x 1300 DC
    Bedroom3 600 x 1100 DC
    Bedroom4 600 x 1200 DC

CONTROLS

COMMISIONING

WARRANTY

BUILDING WORKS

WASTE MATERIALS

The price seems very high to me but i am up north
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • processpaul
    processpaul Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 29 April 2010 at 2:50PM
    Options
    I can add that the Honeywell CMT 927 (7 day programmer) is a very good investment on a new install. It's very easy to programme, it can have 6 different temperatures over each 24 hour period and each of the seven days can be different. Plus its wireless so can go in any room (ours is in the lounge).

A friend has the Vaillant programmer and has to get the instructions out each time to change things (he's an IT engineer!!)

I've recently had my old boiler removed from the loft (including all tanks etc) in prep for loft conversion.
    1. New Vaillant 831 ecotec plus installed in a bedroom (its very quiet)
    2. Whole system powerflushed (took just under one day)
    3. Fernox TF1 return flow magnetic filter installed
    4. All Pipework boxed in.
    5. New thermostatic radiator valves on 8 radiators
    6. Got a 5 year warranty as installer is vaillant registered, + one year added for boiler scrappage,
    all in for £2700. East sussex area.
  • bigstevex
    bigstevex Posts: 913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We've just had very similar in the north west for ~£3000, towel rad and magnaclean supplied though.

Get some more quotes first
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport