Kitchen Installation Quote Fair?

Options
Hello

I've had a quote from IKEA for a new kitchen.

The combined costs for all the units and appliances is less than the installation charge [£3,4K and £3,9K].

Is this usual?

I'd also welcome any heads up on having an IKEA kitchen from anyone with experience. For example if one range is better in any way, what their fridge/freezers and ovens are like.

Many thanks.

I tried doing various searches but nothing came up.

M x

Comments

• melpomene
    melpomene Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Update : the installer has now emailed me an additional schedule of costs for things like removing the old kitchen units, checking electrics etc, to the tune of a further £1,320 so my total is now £9K before any hitches or changes.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Is it a big kitchen then, ours cost £300 to fit and to lay a new floor in the kitchen and dining room, the joiner charges £150 a day took him 2 days, i did rip the old one out myself mind

The electrician charged £80 to move and add some sockets.
    n
    Im sure you can get it loads cheaper , Homebase wanted £1450 !
  • melpomene
    Options
    The kitchen is quite big, yes, but isn't going to have units all over it, no fancy islands or anything - £3,400 worth of stuff but already installation is running at £5,250 approx.

I just wondered if that was a real ****take [single female here]. It would be a nightmare for me to get the flatpacks and then have to start co-ordinating various people to do the necessary, so I don't mind a bit of a premium for their subcontractor doing the whole thing, but is this excessive?

I'm not dead wealthy or anything.

M
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Over 5k to fit a kitchen is excessive, is it Ikea thats quoting that price ?

If it is don't forget they will be taking a huge cut of that, i would look for a local joiner as friends or family if they can recommend someone
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remember the kitchen fitter is suncontracted and will only get about £1000 of the £3900. The rest is on Ikeas bottom line. Its worth shopping arounf for a fitter. Most fitters have other tradesmen that they work with and can co-ordinate for you. Ask family and friends.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • melpomene
    Options
    This fitter clearly does co-ordinate other tradesmen for electrics, and tiles [not yet priced].

From what you guys are saying, he isn't getting the majority of the cash for fitting the kitchen anyway.

Where would I find someone with plenty of IKEA expertise?

Mel
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Buy the units, get them delivered and get a local fitter to install for you?
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • chequers10
    chequers10 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Kitchen fitters charge a lot more for IKEA kitchens because they have no pipe voids at the back & are therefore more difficult and take longer to fit,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure