Traded Endowment Policies (TEPS)

Has anyone experience of these. I have seen a seminar on paying school fees by a plan backed with TEPS. It sounded to good to be true, so probably is.
The Pegster

Quote-of-the-day: "A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place"

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    112K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Is it a TEP fund or you actually taking on someone else's individual endowment?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Pegleg2001Pegleg2001 Forumite
    113 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    Dunstonh - I believe they were offering a 'block' purchase of TEPS that would be assigned to the buyer. I presume they are chosen to mature at the end of ones childrens tenure at school.

It involved remortgaging to use up 'lazy' equity (their term) in your home and then block purchasing these TEPS structured around your own circumstances. They say they service the interest on the mortgage, pay the fees and upon maturity there is enough capital to pay off the original loan/mortgage.
    The Pegster

Quote-of-the-day: "A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place"
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    112K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There are a lot of good endowments that have been sold in addition to not so good ones. So the potential is there (potential does work both ways though ;) )

If you are experienced enough to know which ones are good and which ones are not and have knowledge of the insurance companies and their financial strength, asset allocation and investment view you stand a better chance.

Ideally, you would be looking at the guaranteed sum assured and annual bonuses already paid. This is the minimum maturity value effectively. So, if that is valued at £20,000 and you buy it for £10,000 and remaining contributions over the term are £5000, then you make £5000. You then have the potential for a final bonus with more annual bonuses. These may or may not be paid depending on the company and it's financial state.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals