PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

'Limited Title Guarantee' - Jitters before signing contract

Options
Hello Friends,
I've just recieved the draft contract and it says house is sold on 'limited title' as the house owner has died. The sellers(their son) has got a probate to sell it.
But limited title means "
Seller gives to a buyer where the seller has limited knowledge of the property that they are selling and therefore cannot give an unqualified guarantee (full title guarantee) that the property is not subject to any financial charges and that no others have any rights over the property."
Property not being subject to any financial charges are taken care by seller settling all bills and other things before completion.
But what about 'no other having any rights over the property'?
Who will guarantee this? Or how do i find this that no one else has the rights. Should my solictor do this as part of conveyancing?
I'm worried about me buying this and one fine day someone knocking on my door saying that they have the right to the property :(
please help!!
R Nelson

Comments

• poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Wait til probate is done and the title is properly ready?

What does your solicitor say?
  • rosenelson
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    Solicitor is saying that the probate solicitor of the seller would not issue a probate if there is any debt on the property. But has not answered about any others having rights over the property. chasing them once again.
    When you said wait till probate is done. Does it mean that this takes care of any debt of property.
    What do you mean by title is properly done please?
    Sorry lots of questions being a FTB.
    thanks,
    R Nelson
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Surely the property can be put through probate and sold properly with full title?
    Once it's officially the sons to sell ... then buy it...

I'm assuming it's being sold before then ?

I know one house took nearly a year for a very standard probate to go through so the sale could happen...
  • timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    rosenelson wrote: »
    Hello Friends,
    I've just recieved the draft contract and it says house is sold on 'limited title' as the house owner has died. The sellers(their son) has got a probate to sell it.
    But limited title means "
    Seller gives to a buyer where the seller has limited knowledge of the property that they are selling and therefore cannot give an unqualified guarantee (full title guarantee) that the property is not subject to any financial charges and that no others have any rights over the property."
    Property not being subject to any financial charges are taken care by seller settling all bills and other things before completion.
    But what about 'no other having any rights over the property'?
    Who will guarantee this? Or how do i find this that no one else has the rights. Should my solictor do this as part of conveyancing?
    I'm worried about me buying this and one fine day someone knocking on my door saying that they have the right to the property :(
    please help!!
    R Nelson

why on earth are you asking this forum and not your lawyer - no one here is contracted to provide accurate legal advice to you?

but in asnwer, LTG is what you get when buying from an executor. Millions before you have. If the land is registered and there is no obvious third party rights over your property your lawyer will advise you it is legally fine.

good luck and enjoy your house. best time to be buying so well done.
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are buying from an executor it will always be with limited title guarantee - the executor was not the owner and can't give you full title guarantee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport