PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting Agent Mistake Trying To Make Me Pay - Help!

Options
Hi

I've lived in my rented house now since October 2008. I am on housing benefit and get the full ammount to cover my rent. My rent is £350 per calendar month but the housing benefit pay every four weeks so I get £323.08 every four weeks.

As the housing benefit is every four weeks my letting agent agreed for me to pay the 323.08 every four weeks.

Around August/Spetember of 2009 I had some issues with my benefits and as a result my rent got all messy. I was late paying and was paying bits here and there.

In December the letting agent did some sort of accounting and said I was in arrears of £208.39. I questioned this as I thought I was in arrears by more than that but the letting agent assured me I only owed £208.39.

On the 1st of December I went in to the office and payed the £208.39 and was also given a rent statement where they had written at the bottom "Arrears £208.39" and my reciept for payment was attached.

Since December I have been up to date with my rent paying the £323.08 every four weeks and I have reciepts to prove that.

The letting agent has contacted me today to say that I owe them two months rent. I know I owe one month and i'm due to pay it on Monday.

I think they have made a mistake with their accounting back in December.

Do I owe this money then or do they have to swollow their mistake?!

Comments

• poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Write it all out so they can see what you've paid (I assume you have a proper record of what HB you've been paid)
  • angelfoxy
    Options
    i have a record of what housing benefit i have been paid but as it was all such a mess towards the end of last year i was paying little bits here and there. I am also missing some reciepts from last year.

I have though the rent statement that shows them saying my arrears to that date are £208.39 with the reciept attached to show I paid it and all the reciepts from that date onwards that shows I havent been short in my rent.

Would that be enough?
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ask the agents for a complete statement of account going back to the balance of £208.39 (which was cleared) showing where these alleged arrears have occurred. Only admit you owe these arrears if you agree how they have come about. It's possible that they have omitted to credit your account with all of the payments you have made but if you don't have a record of each payment yourself you can't ask the agent to trace them. Get your paperwork in order!
  • angelfoxy
    Options
    from the date they said I was in arrears for £208.39 my paper work is in order. I have the rent statement indicating the arrears, the receipt to prove I cleared the arrears and all receipts for my rent since that date.

The only missing information I have is prior to the rent statement.
  • Bunter_2
    Bunter_2 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like the L.A. made a mistake in his accounting in December. You appear to agree that this is the case.

Presumably you have a contract or rental agreement which stipulates how much you have to pay. You would be obliged to adhere to the contract. After all, if you paid too much you would not allow the L.A.to get away with it.

Seems like the record keeping between you and the L.A. is in a right mess. If you don't keep a strict record of payments then you will not be in a strong position to challenge any disagreements.

Do you think that you do owe one month's rent? If so, perhaps you could arrange to pay some arrears off, otherwise it will just hang over your head.

I don't think you can just say to the L.A. "you made a mistake, swallow it!".
  • angelfoxy
    Options
    the thing is at the time i questioned it as in my mind I was sure I owed more than they said!

As my paperwork was in a mess I accepted that their paperwork and adding up would be right.

I'm on benefits and there is no way I can afford to pay £300+ more to them.

At the time (just before Christmas) I remember thinking how relieved I was that they said I only owed that amount as it menat I had some money for christmas presents.

I'm not an idiot, I wouldn't have spent the money on presents if i'd know I owed it.

I just don't have that sort of excess in my benefits to pay it!

It was their mistake not mine and I did question it.

I was assured that on the day I paid the arrears that my rent was up to date and I have paid on time every 4 weeks since.

What was I supposed to do... hold on to the money in my account just in case they were wrong?! It wasn't like I had £300+ in my account that would have definately shown me that something wasn't right and i'd have done something about it... like I said, at the time I was making up arrears as my benefits all got messy. I just presumed they were right.

How can it be right that if someone makes an error and gives you a statement showing you were in arrears for a certain amount and you pay those arrears. Why should they be allowed to chase you months laters when they realise their error?! You couldn't do that if you were short changed in a shop!

In business they would just swollow the error!
  • EddyH_2
    EddyH_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2010 at 3:19PM
    Options
    When you cleared the arrears did you also pay that months rent or did you wait another 4 weeks? If you waited 4 weeks prehaps that is why you owe an extra months payment.
  • Bunter_2
    Bunter_2 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    The L.A. presumably acts on behalf of the Landlord who is the actual recipient of the rent and will push him for any (alleged) underpayments.

I rent directly from a LL and trust me he would not swallow anything, (where money is concerned). He is a ruthless financier and would follow you to the end of the earth for a debt.

Hope yours is different. Considering your financial position I hope you settle it amicably.

Good luck.
  • angelfoxy
    Options
    EddyH wrote: »
    When you cleared the arrears did you also pay that months rent or did you wait another 4 weeks? If you waited 4 weeks prehaps that is why you owe an extra months payment.

I then paid that months rent on the 10th of December.
    Bunter wrote: »
    The L.A. presumably acts on behalf of the Landlord who is the actual recipient of the rent and will push him for any (alleged) underpayments.

I rent directly from a LL and trust me he would not swallow anything, (where money is concerned). He is a ruthless financier and would follow you to the end of the earth for a debt.

Hope yours is different. Considering your financial position I hope you settle it amicably.

Good luck.

Its the letting agent who are pushing for the money and the landlord is probably unaware of their mistake. The letting agent are a nightmare! If I could deal directly with the landlord I know this would never have happened!

In my opinion the letting agent should swollow it! They made the mistake!
  • Cannon_Fodder
    Cannon_Fodder Posts: 3,980 Forumite
    Options
    Tread carefully. If they decide that the hassle and risk of losing money is too great from someone on Housing Benefit who is not a reliable payer of rent, they could serve notice...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure