PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Damage to house after contracts exchanged

Options
I've just bought my first house and exchanged contracts and keys this week. When I walked into the house I noticed that the front lounge window was cracked. This was not there when I viewed the property and was not mentioned in the survey either. I am therefore presuming it happened as they were moving out.

Does anyone know if this is something I'll have to replace or should the former owners be liable? Also, should I do this through my solicitors who were dealing with the conveyancing or myself?

Thanks!

Comments

• tabskitten
    tabskitten Posts: 1,329 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry do not know for sure but i imagine unless that you can prove when it was done........
    may be worth asking the neighbors if they noticed it? or more importantly WHEN if they did notice it....
    :silenced:
    I think tabskitten is a crying, walking, sleeping, talking, living troll :cool:
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    edited 22 April 2010 at 11:22PM
    Options
    I think you would be wasting your time pursuing this.You would have to prove who did it and when .
    You could ask your solicitor to follow it up ,but dont expect anything .

my present house had floorboards missing from under the bed ,no survey would have showed that .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • tabskitten
    Options
    if you don't ask you don't get- not a waste of time as you have nothing to lose....
  • bobby-boy_2
    bobby-boy_2 Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    if you don't ask you don't get- not a waste of time as you have nothing to lose....
    except the money you will have to pay your solicitor for his time to contact previous owners.
    probbaly cheaper to replace window!
    Debts as of 01/june/08
    [strike]Dad 15,500[/strike] [strike]11,000[/strike] [STRIKE]9000[/STRIKE]
    [strike]Friend[/strike] [STRIKE]5000[/STRIKE]
    [strike]Other 1000[/strike] 0.0
    Egg [strike]7633.14[/strike] [strike]6000@0%[/strike]:T
  • mclaren32
    mclaren32 Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Phone up your insurance cover and try to claim on your buildings insurance that you had in place from exchange.
  • tabskitten
    Options
    bobby-boy wrote: »
    except the money you will have to pay your solicitor for his time to contact previous owners.
    probbaly cheaper to replace window!

I meant wrt asking the neighbours!
  • timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    I've just bought my first house and exchanged contracts and keys this week. When I walked into the house I noticed that the front lounge window was cracked. This was not there when I viewed the property and was not mentioned in the survey either. I am therefore presuming it happened as they were moving out.

Does anyone know if this is something I'll have to replace or should the former owners be liable? Also, should I do this through my solicitors who were dealing with the conveyancing or myself?

Thanks!

you have completed and moved into your dream home and handed over your money. YOu cannot prove when it was done and no seller will replace glass in a house they walked away from. You cannot sue as that would be a waste oftime and money for a bit of glass.

if you could prove it was the seller after exchnage - and not the day before unless you viewed the property a second before an exchnage - then maybe.

Just move on, there are some terrible sellers out there who take light bulbs, the toilets (!) etc...and leave rubbish .....losers, so be better than them
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure