Install outside meter?

Options
gatita
gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
I have enormous difficulty reading my electricity meter s it is behind a kitchen drawer and very low down...... also all the fuses are there. I would love to get it installed outside where it would be easier for everyone. Would I have to pay for this, or is there some kind of scheme for pensioners?
When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.

Comments

• bargainraider
    Options
    All I could suggest would be let the electricity company read the meter and dont worry about it. Or if you are that worried about seeing how much electricity you are useing then there is a meter that measures usage of each appliance plugged through it. These are not availible on a scheme though
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    contact your electricity supplier to see what they can do for you, all are different when it comes to services.

this link is for guernsey, have a look at what they do for their customers.
    http://www.electricity.gg/internet/publicinformation/CodesofPractice/codesofprac_servicesfortheelderlysickordisabled.asp
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • Hello There Your Electricial Supplier Will Move Your Meter For You Normally To A Maximum Of 5 Meters Linear From Your Main In Take (fuse) But Of Course They Will Charge You ,here In Brighton, For Edf (formally Seeboard) They Charge £125 Per Hour For Normal A Daytime Slot. But That Said Under Some Conditions They Will Move It For Free.
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the Electric Company has difficulty reading the meter then you may get it moved to a more accessible position for free provided your over 65 and on a low income.

However if you ask them to move it to an outside meter position they will charge an hourly rate and charge for the meter box and they will not do any associated buliding work ie cutting out the bricks for the meter box to fit into.

Electric companies have to by law read your meter at least twice a year so leave them to read it for you is my advice, if your out when they call ring and make an appointment for a revisit.
  • gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies, I think the meter will have to stay where it is! I rather thought the outcome would be that.
    Good gracious Electrician £125 ah HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh to be a meter fitter
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure