Anti-Spyware - McAfee or ZoneAlarm or other prog??

Options
Hi there,

Now m'broadband's up and running, I found the free McAfee Personal Firewall Plus software that AOL provides.

However I've currently got Zonealarm running but wondered which one is better?? :confused:

:beer: :D

Comments

• Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Oh and on my laptop I've got Zonealarm with Windows Defender Beta2 but not installed the McAfee yet. Does that mean I need to remove ZA?? :o
  • Little_John
    Little_John Posts: 4,033 Forumite
    Options
    Only have 1 software firewall running they can argue just like antivirus software. well not really argue but you may allow on 1 program and not on the other it can make things dificult to manage. as for whihc one to use. god knows I ditched ZA ages ago for Kerio but I have internet security suite on my laptop which works ok once they are set up they dont really bother you that much
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to have Norton, but I since joining MSE I refuse to pay for internet security when I can have a good system for free. Therefore I have uninstalled Norton from both my lappies and have donwloaded/installed:

AVG
    Spybot
    sygate
    Ad-aware

Plus Ccleaner for getting rid of cobwebs from the system.

It all works a treat, and I find both lappies have even speeded up a bit. :)
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quasar wrote:
    I used to have Norton, but I since joining MSE I refuse to pay for internet security when I can have a good system for free. Therefore I have uninstalled Norton from both my lappies and have donwloaded/installed:

AVG
    Spybot
    sygate
    Ad-aware

I am going to install these as my Norton expires at end of this month, silly question but do I uninstall Norton first???? Could you just tell me what each one is for, I am slightly confused. :o Which order is it best to do them in.
  • Crabman
    Options
    Quasar wrote:

AVG
    Spybot
    sygate
    Ad-aware

Ad-Aware - I've got this on our desktop PC but it doesn't have any real-time capabilities :( I also forget to run/update it and tbh I only just remembered I have it when you mentioned it just then :o :rotfl:

Has no-one heard of McAfee Personal Firewall Plus then?? :cry: It seems a good program - clean tidy and easy interface but techies always know more than simple folk like myself :o
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mcafee is fine, unistall zonealrm after turning on the Windows built in one, install the Mcaffee and then turn the windows one back off
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, uninstall Norton, but prepare for it to put up a fight.

AVG: anti-virus program
    Sygate: depends which one, but presume Quasar means the firewall, which guards your PC against intrusions from outside your PC and unapproved contacting of websites etc from things inside your PC (this was what the OP was talking about, not actually anti-spyware)
    Spybot, Ad-aware: anti-spyware programs, which remove programs that can spy on your system, and for instance, log your keystrokes.
    Ccleaner - removes temporary files and other dross Windows leaves behind.

I'd go with the recommendations on all these, apart from Sygate, which I've never used, but I'm sure it's good. For an alternative, I use Kerio firewall, which is a 30-day trial and then it'll switch to the free version which hasn't got as many bells & whistles, but protects just as well.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chatta wrote:
    I am going to install these as my Norton expires at end of this month, silly question but do I uninstall Norton first???? Could you just tell me what each one is for, I am slightly confused. :o Which order is it best to do them in.

yes as above , turn ON the windows firewall to give you some protection, uninstall Nortons completely fro Add/Remove Programs , then install the Mcafee , then turn off the windows firewall again :)
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My son has gone on about using these for a long time he is 15, but why do we think that because we pay for something its got to be better. I am going to have to eat a lot of humble pie :o If I hadnt discovered this site i would never have thought about changing security so thanks.
  • Crabman
    Options
    I can't get any video through Realplayer now that I've got rid of ZOneAlarm and put McAfee PLus in place. It doesn't seem to ask for permissions as muich as Zonealarm did. :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure