PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Taylor Wimpey - Change to Room Layout just before exchanging

Options

Comments

• Sunshine12
    Sunshine12 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    Options
    I used to work for a new build developer and we had situations like this all the time where house types had altered but they had sold the wrong version of the house for that plot etc. We had a disclaimer on every floor plan that allowed us to make changes however I would say from what you have said this is a material change and would be doubtful that it would be covered by any disclaimer. In this situation we would wait and see if the client complained and if they did we would end up reducing the price or offering them a refund of res fee or any deposit. If I were you and you still want to buy the house depsite the alteration I would write to the MD with your concerns and asking them for a proposal to remedy the situation.
    :smileyhea
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,911 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had the impression talking to the sales office that asking for your reservation fee back again would make them cry.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Sunshine12
    Sunshine12 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    I had the impression talking to the sales office that asking for your reservation fee back again would make them cry.

Probably. :D
    :smileyhea
  • jmt
    jmt Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options

If only this were true. My dealings with TW over the last 5 weeks has left me gobsmacked, but my dealings were with offers on a new build, not a plot I had put a reservation fee down on.
  • GDB2222
    Options
    You could console them by offering to buy the property but at a reduced price.
  • Mum_of_3_3
    Mum_of_3_3 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Options
    You could console them by offering to buy the property but at a reduced price.

I agree.

If this were me I would either walk away or if I loved the house loads then I would go along to the local council and see whether the house would make building regs without the wall. If it does, then I would go back to TW and say I'll still buy the house, but at a much lower price due to the fact that I will have to pay a builder to come in, take the wall down, then pay a plasterer to replaster over the messed up ceiling and pay for a new kitchen if the units are attached to the ajoining wall (if they are you may want to ask for even more money off and tell them to forget putting in a kitchen.)

M_o_3
  • GDB2222
    Options
    It's not just a messed up ceiling. The wall will be built. Then the joists and ceilings put in. The celings in the kitchen and living room may not be exactly the same height. That makes it very difficult to get a good result when you take the wall down again.
  • Mum_of_3_3
    Mum_of_3_3 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Options
    It's not just a messed up ceiling. The wall will be built. Then the joists and ceilings put in. The celings in the kitchen and living room may not be exactly the same height. That makes it very difficult to get a good result when you take the wall down again.

This is exactly why I'm glad my partner's a builder. I say knock a wall down, when it's infact far more complicated!

In view of what GDB2222 has written OP I would be very inclined to walk away and reclaim my money.

M_o_3
  • richardvc
    richardvc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Walk away ! I don't know why but alarm bells are ringing !

Yet another company to add to the extensive list who live to the mantra of promising one thing but delivering another !

Would your frined have bought it with this wall in place ? If not, tell them not to buy it !
    Thanks to MSE I cleared £37k of debt in five years and I was lucky enough to meet Martin to thank him personally.
  • GDB2222
    Options
    Mum_of_3 wrote: »
    This is exactly why I'm glad my partner's a builder. I say knock a wall down, when it's infact far more complicated!

I think that building is one of the most under-rated jobs. There's far more skill involved than most people give credit for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport