PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

eviction

Options
capslock
capslock Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 20 April 2010 at 8:11PM in House buying, renting & selling
Thanks to everyone who replied

Comments

• sequence
    sequence Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2010 at 8:49PM
    Options
    Thats true and he'll might get sued penny he has, might teach him a thing about being a landlord

Bad, bad landlord should not be a landlord.

This is unlawful eviction and is not taken lightly by the courts.
  • bristol_pilot
    bristol_pilot Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    Options
    I'm afraid your brother may have committed a criminal offence. The maximum penalty I believe is a hefty fine, a criminal record and possibly up to six months in jail.
  • StudentMoneySaver
    Options
    It looks like your brother has carried out an unlawful eviction which can carry up to 6 months in prison and a £5,000 fine, plus any damages the tenant gets if he sues your brother.

The only way your brother could have gained possession in this situation is through the courts by issuing a Sec. 8 (I think) notice for 2 months unpaid rent. If your brother did this he would have more than likely have been granted possession by the courts.

It may be a good idea to post this on the landlordzone.co.uk forums to see what they say. If your brother wants to avoid the punishments for illegal eviction he may have a lot of grovelling to do.
  • <sebb>
    <sebb> Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    It's an offense under the Protection from Eviction Act. And yes, he could end up in prison for it.

What he did is a serious criminal offense.
  • sequence
    sequence Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Options
    You can't evict someone without a court order and the proper notice
  • <sebb>
    <sebb> Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    Take a look here for the potential consequences of your brother's actions

http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/category/housing-law-all/unlawful-eviction-and-harassment/
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd tell your brother to start grovelling immediately, as if the tenant takes action (as they are quite rightfully entitled to), then he could be in BIG trouble.

For future reference, he can issue an Section 8 eviction form when 2 months rent are outstanding. I suggest he reads this:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/section-8-notice.htm

Your brother also might want to join the landlordzone, and learn how to become a proper landlord.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your brother has broken the law, has no idea how to act as a landlord, and deserves whatever punishment he gets.

It is not acceptable either legally or morally to go into someone else's home (yes, it is the tenants home), without permission, move their possessions out (theft?) and lock them out!
  • StudentMoneySaver
    Options
    I take it he didn't like what he heard.

For latecomers, his brother, not being happy with his tenant being 2 months behind on rent, entered the tenant's property, changed the locks and removed the tenant's belongings.
  • Sammy85_2
    Sammy85_2 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    tut tut

(not long enough to post!!!)
    :jProud mummy to a beautiful baby girl born 22/12/11 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income