Eon Prepayment meter - Want to switch to a credit meter - help!

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kareka wrote: »
    Hello ... need a help? I lived for six months in a rented private residence. When I moved the landlord put the bills such as water and council tax on my name and the energy and gas continued in the name of the landlord. won the contract but when he asked me to leave because he would need the house. So that months before the boiler blew and we were 15 days without hot water. and the bill came too high. So that months before I asked the landlord's brother who was in charge of the house while the landlord was in turkey for him to put the bill (gas and power) in my name, but he did not. I moved when I asked him conciderasse value and help me pay the bill because the failure of the boiler was not mine. he agreed and said it would solve. but after he leaves the house received a bill from E.0N in my name for me to pay the entire bill. I called in and asked E.ON what right they had to change a bill to my name without my permission they gave no importance and I am now receiving charges from credit companies ... please tell me what and where should I turn right. Why should I assume part of that bill, but only because he changed the bill after I left and why E.on accepted without my autorizacao.Thanks

Hi kareka

Energy accounts our opened and closed based on the information we are given. Landlords and Letting Agents regularly provide this information on behalf of their tenants. Often, they send in copies of Tenancy Agreements to support this.

Does the bill you've received from us cover the period you lived at the property?

If this is the case and you didn't inform us, your landlord may have sent us a copy of your Tenancy Agreement to register the account in your name.

Is the bill accurate? That is, based on the correct dates of occupancy and actual meter readings.

Let us know if the bill covers a period where you weren't responsible for the property. We will need to see your Tenancy Agreement in support of this.

We will be looking for payment to cover the energy used at the property. If you believe the landlord is responsible for this then you need to sort this out with him.

Hope this points you in the right direction kareka. Give me a shout if you need any more details as will be happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • MartinPC_2
    Options
    Just to update on my situation, my grievance, with Eon ... Eon asked that the previous court judgement be struck out citing that they had not attended the previous hearing because, in a telephone call Eon claimed to have made to the court, the court apparently verbally (but never in writing) informed Eon that the hearing would not be taking place and, quote, "The defendant (Eon) feels their defence has a reasonable prospect of success at a court hearing".

Thereafter there was a further hearing to set aside that previous judgement, then a next hearing that became cancelled due snow and then the final hearing of earlier today. What I post here is for the benefits of other(s) finding themselves in a similar situation as I found myself to be in and not for the purposes of bragging nor boasting etc.

At this hearing I had a written statement from my previous tenant in which she confirmed that, in 2005, Eon had informed her that she could have the PPM removed, without charge, once her debt was cleared and that Eon had informed her that it was not necessary for her to contact her landlord (me) as this was a matter solely between herself and Eon.

Under an act of 1989 once a rental property becomes vacant then the property owner is deemed to become the customer of the utility provider. Eon's backbone of their defence was to quote this electricty act and their terms and conditions (between Eon and the customer) whilst stating it was reasonable for them to recover meter change costs from the customer.

I made point to the court that by that 1989 act this problem was always likely to fall in to my lap thus Eon can have no excuse, as far as rental properties are concerned, that the property owner is not involved regarding PPM installation and I agreed that it was not unreasonable for Eon to recover meter change costs from the customer, the customer, at the time this meter change was being requested/refused, was my previous tenant, I wasn't the customer yet Eon were demanding such payment from me!

Eon had shot themselves in the foot!

I'd love to be able to say that it was one particular point that won the case for me but I can't, the judge made a lengthy summing up taking everything in to consideration, perhaps several points won the case for me, however at least one County Court of England & Wales has ruled that Eon's, and other utility providers that act similarly, business practices are wrong and this case has cost Eon 2.5 times the charge they could have so easily demanded from my previous tenant and 2 round trips, 2 business days, from/to Coventry and the south!
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations Martin for sticking to your guns and not getting bullied by Eon's ridiculous terms and conditions on removing prepayment meters. Maybe now they might think about changing their policy in this area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure